Photo and Video build

Associate
Hi,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice for my new Photo and Video editing desktop build. I'm a semi pro tog so image size in RAW is quite big and my present machine is showing its age. Also just getting into video editing. I'm not convinced I need a Quadro so will probably get a GTX 570 for graphics. I don't need the latest greatest, just a respectable system to make my image management/editing more fun to do!

How does this look?

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail
Corsair Obsidian 550D Quiet Midi Tower Case - Black
Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Desktop Series SATA 6Gb/s KIT with Norton Ghost - (MZ-7PC128D/EU)
TeamGroup Elite 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED316G1600HC11DC)
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 600W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Are there cheaper cases out there which are screwless, minimal and fit SSD or should I stick with this Corsair I found in other recent threads here.

I assume I don't need a separate CPU cooler with no overclocking planned.

I've gone for the Gigabyte Z77 instead of the Z77X as I doubt I'll need SLI and to save a few pennies.

I have read one real advantage of the i7 CPU is for things like adobe premier, but provided it works reasonably fast I am not in a huge hurry. I just want a decent GUI editing experience.

I've already got 1TB SATA drives to add. I expect I'll add another SSD at some point. I reckon 8GB RAM would be enough but the price is decent on 16GB right now.

Cheers!
Carl.

Soldato
The 550D is good but there are cheaper, such as the R3 and some offerings from bit fenix.

If your not going to Oc you won't need an aftermarket cooler, no.

I doubt you'd benifit much from the i7.

Whats the point of adding another SSD? I'd just stick with this SSD as the boot drive with most of your important programs on and add big HDD for document storage.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £173.99
1 x Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Desktop Series SATA 6Gb/s KIT with Norton Ghost - (MZ-7PC128D/EU) £85.99
1 x Fractal Design Define R3 Midi Tower Case - Black Pearl £79.99
1 x TeamGroup Elite 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED316G1600HC11DC) £77.99
1 x Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £74.99
1 x Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 600W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £65.99
Total : £573.94 (includes shipping : £12.50).

Associate
Hi,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice for my new Photo and Video editing desktop build. I'm a semi pro tog so image size in RAW is quite big and my present machine is showing its age. Also just getting into video editing. I'm not convinced I need a Quadro so will probably get a GTX 570 for graphics.
Even a 570 is overkill TBH.

Even my 450 makes Premiere Pro fly and assuming you aren't pulling together multiple videos into a single frame at any one time, you'll probably be fine. Photoshop uses hardly any graphics acceleration and you can get by with a fairly lowly gard there too (I edit 5D2 raw images regularly on my system).

Whats the point of adding another SSD?
If you use a program like lightroom, it does a lot of accesses to your image store. Adding a second SSD as a staging area for your current work speeds the program up significantly when you are browsing images.

Soldato
If you use a program like lightroom, it does a lot of accesses to your image store. Adding a second SSD as a staging area for your current work speeds the program up significantly when you are browsing images.

Oh, thats brilliant, didn't realize it did that. Well recommended then, when you have the money.

The GTX 570 would be too much for just this kind of work but if he is gaming too, it would be a good purchase, or a 560ti. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks. Really helpful.

I'm not after a game machine.

I also want to do video editing and if I get into it more in the near future I could end up with Adobe Premier Pro. I hear that does use GPU? So a GTX 570 would then be useful for HD work. I could do without for now I guess.

Associate
So a GTX 570 would then be useful for HD work. I could do without for now I guess.
Definitely overkill until you know you need it. Save the money for now and get something like a 450. When you're running out of steam on that, graphics technology will have moved on so much you can splash on something much better then.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Probably 6 (educational discount). My radeon is ancient though, so still wouldnt help. I think the CPU and SSD might give me enough improvement for now. Thanks for the link. Didn't realise they'd added opencl for AMD cards.

Going to sleep on this and maybe order something this weekend.

Associate
OP
Thanks again, I've ordered :)

Picked up 2x SSD so I can have OS on one and Lightroom staging on the other.

Haven't got GPU yet, going to see what my existing performs like and decide how much I end up using Premier over the next few months before getting something.

Associate
OP
I've had this build for half a year now and although it works well I've had no end of trouble with the SSD's failing. I seem to get corruptions now and then. Oddly the boot errors etc go away if I just open the box and fiddle with the ssd cabling a bit. Which makes me wonder if I need some more secure plugs maybe 90 degree ones.

Also I'm now thinking of upgrading from the onboard graphics card. I'd like to do the odd bit of gaming so going to look at the GTX 570 unless anyone can suggest a new budget good gpu. I guess things may have changed in 6 months!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Associate
OP
I've ordered some sata cables with 90 degree connectors. Best to rule out the simple things first.

So now I'm just reaidng up on mid range graphics cards. I do like the look of that HD7950, ta.

Associate
OP
Well after reading around I did go for a 7850. Put it in today and get nothing but crashes in a game demo I tried (xcom).

I have a console for games, but even so I'd expect this to work. Tried *everything* you can imagine e.g. drivers, bios etc and was all ready to send it back when I just now decided to unplug 3 hard drives (I had 4 on the go).

It worked. It seems it needed more power to stop the crashing?? I thought a 600W PSU was ample.

A google search for "7850 crash" is scary. Lots of complaints. However, basic process of elimination really seems to point at a lack of power. I find that strange, unless my hard drives were taking a lot more than I thought they did.

Back
Top Bottom