SSD Mega Test - Test of the Titans!! Neutron GTX/Neutron vs Vertex 4

Soldato
Hello

Well, I have just sat and done some testing for you to find out what exactly is the best. The Corsair Neutron, Corsair Neutron GTX or the OCZ Vertex 4!

Take a look below :)

Crystal Disk Mark

Neutron

Neutron1.jpg

Neutron GTX

GTX1.jpg

Vertex 4

Vertex4-1.jpg

ATTO

Neutron

Neutron2.jpg

Neutron GTX

GTX2.jpg

Vertex 4

Vertex4-2.jpg

AS SSD (MB/S)

Neutron

Neutron3.jpg

Neutron GTX

GTX3.jpg

Vertex 4

Vertex4-3.jpg

AS SSD (IOPS)

Neutron

Neutron4.jpg

Neutron GTX

GTX4.jpg

Vertex 4

Vertex4-4.jpg

So... As you can See ultimately the Vertex 4 seems to be the quickest "just" as an over all drive. The Neutron GTX is also very fast with the difference literally being a case of Buy which brand you prefer - Corsair or OCZ.

The strange drive however is the Neutron.. it is marginally quicker than the Neutron GTX in its read performance which at the end of the day is ultimately what matters the most on a day to day basis which given it is cheaper than the GTX makes it a very good drive indeed.

The Vertex 4 however seems to perform faster on the small 4k and 512b files etc than the competition and at its current price smokes the corsair offerings.

Corsair - Bring your pricing down a little and you will have (debatable) the joint fastest and best value drive on the market. The Agility 4 has not been tested however the Neutron would simply blow it out of the water unless OCZ have a firmware update planned to combat this.

OcUK Staff
All very impressive drives!

Just out of curiosity, fancy running one of the Vertex 2E 60GB in the same system to see how a bargain £29.99 drive compares?

Associate
The new corsair LAM drives are good performers it's just tough to pick them at the minute with the prices their competitors are offering. Weren't LAM purchased by Hynix? Either way, when Corsair loose exclusivity of that controller I think prices will become more competitive.

Soldato
In the other "Mega test" thread from a few months ago. Neither of the drives listed above come close in performance (around 10-20% slower depending on scenario) and this as such is reflected in the pricing as both the m4 and the 830 are cheaper.

I don't think they are worse units. According to Anandtech, the Samsung and Crucial may not be the best on synthetic benchmarks but give it a real world heavy load, the Samsung comes out on top.

Different drives shows benefits in different tests. Synthetic tests don't show the whole story. Ultimately though, the difference will be tiny.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know I really don't think any of the benchmarks really indicate much for real world performance.

I would make sure the drives compared are the same size (often reviews don't)
I would fill the drives up, delete 30GB, then make a 12GB test file of various small and large files and accurately time it copying from the drive to a new folder on the same drive. That would be more of a test ;)

People often say raid 0 is a waste of time with ssd !, I did a similar test with 2 raided M4's so full, I barely had 100mb spare (after the test) and compared them to a new clean Samsung, the old raided M4's were still 30% + faster
(all drives 120GB) Stunning considering I've never used trim and frequently run out of space !

Soldato
OP
I don't think they are worse units. According to Anandtech, the Samsung and Crucial may not be the best on synthetic benchmarks but give it a real world heavy load, the Samsung comes out on top.

Different drives shows benefits in different tests. Synthetic tests don't show the whole story. Ultimately though, the difference will be tiny.

This is correct however if you look at synthetic tests the gap in some cases increases to as much as 40%

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Here is some benchmarks from the Vertex 2E connected to a SATA3 port:-

asssd1.jpg

asssd2k.jpg

crystalt.jpg

attop.jpg

As you can see the performance is pretty damn good, and all for £29.99 Inc. VAT. :D :D :D

On SATA2 the performance might be marginally better as they are obviously optimised for SATA2. :)

OcUK Staff
The RAID benchmarks from a pair in RAID 0 (VERTEX 2E 60GB):-

I've placed these results next to single drive results for easy comparison. The only difference is the single drive had zero data on it. In RAID 0 the drives had Win7 Pro loaded onto them. :)

SINGLE DRIVE (NO DATA)-------------------------------- TWO DRIVES - RAID 0 (OPERATING SYSTEM / BOOT DRIVE)
asssd1.jpg
asssd1.png

SINGLE DRIVE (NO DATA)-------------------------------- TWO DRIVES - RAID 0 (OPERATING SYSTEM / BOOT DRIVE)
asssd2k.jpg
asssd2.png

attop.jpg
attohdd.png

SINGLE DRIVE (NO DATA)------------------- TWO DRIVES - RAID 0 (OPERATING SYSTEM / BOOT DRIVE)
crystalt.jpg
crystalfi.png

Soldato
The RAID benchmarks from a pair in RAID 0 (VERTEX 2E 60GB):-

I've placed these results next to single drive results for easy comparison. The only difference is the single drive had zero data on it. In RAID 0 the drives had Win7 Pro loaded onto them. :)

Now without looking at benchies, how quick does that feel ? ;)

Would make a very quick "budget" game and OS setup for £60 !!!

Back
Top Bottom