• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5 core voltage adjustment

Associate
Hi

I have the MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5 from OcUk. Using Catalyst 12.8 and MSI Afterburner 2.2.3. I'm having problems adjusting the voltages (just testing speeds etc). The card states that it is triple overvoltage enhanced yet the MSI Afterburner software doesn't seem to work, although on the surface, it appears to. This 7850 card seems to have a 2D clock voltage of 0.82v and a 3D clock voltage of 1.21v set in its BIOS.

I have unlocked the voltage adjustments in the Afterburner settings and can move the slider but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the core voltage, which is always jumps up to 1.21v when running games, as displayed by GPU-Z, AIDA 64, MSI Kombustor etc. The slider can be moved from 0.82v up to 1.3v yet the card never budges from 1.21v when in 3D clock mode, even if set to say 1.1v in Afterburner.

I have installed the Sapphire Trixx software and as a test, i was able to downvolt from the MSI core voltage of 1.21v, down to 1.1v. This adjustment was successful based on GPU-Z readings. Trixx only lets me down volt though which i believe is due to the MSI cards core default of 1.21v being higher than Trixx's upper adjustable limit of 1.18v.

Does anybody have this same card and know why MSI Afterburner can't adjust its own card when it is stated to be triple overvoltage capable?

tia

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

I have posted in that very thread on the MSI forum this morning. The mod that replied to me seems to think that if Afterburner is set to its 'default' core voltage of 1075mv and that 1075mv is displayed on Afterburners on screen display, that is the correct core voltage reading to go with. This is despite the fact that GPU-Z, Kombustor, AIDA64 still show 1.21v. I can watch GPU-Z jump from 0.82v to 1.21v when entering 3D mode so i am more inclined to think that Afterburner doesn't work at all on this card and the default of 1075mv is totally invalid and incorrect.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am still unable to unlock the voltage on my msi 7850, running the latest 12.8 drivers now as well but no luck at all. managed to get my card to 1125/1200 on the stock volts

Soldato
I saw the guy in the MSI thread saying about installing the MSI vga driver? dont quite know why that would need to be done when you have the CCC installed anyway. I may give GPU tweak a whirl but i just want AB to work with my MSI card :D

Caporegime
I saw the guy in the MSI thread saying about installing the MSI vga driver? dont quite know why that would need to be done when you have the CCC installed anyway. I may give GPU tweak a whirl but i just want AB to work with my MSI card :D

I saw that, i doubt it will work but its worth a try just to rule it out.

Install the latest msi amd drivers as listed here.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7850-Twin-Frozr-2GD5-OC.html#/?div=Driver&os=All

See if these drivers have something special in them (as the msi rep claims) that will allow you to use voltage control.

Associate
OP
Hi

Ive already tried using the MSI AMD driver, just to rule that out. As suspected, the MSI driver appears to be identical to the AMD one, just hosted on their own servers.

As far as using the various progs to alter the voltage on my MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5 card,
-AfterBurner does not seem to alter voltages, despite setting the slider. Its onscreen display and graphs show whatever you set the core voltage to but this doesn't match any other software readings, which still show 1.21v
-Sapphire Trixx will let me down-volt the core voltage. This change is reflected in other monitoring software, so 1.21v actually changes to display the lower reading of 1.1v which i selected
-ASUS GPU Tweak has no voltage options whatsoever

GPU-Z will clearly show the core VDDC as 0.825v at rest or 1.210v when in 3D/ performance mode. GPU Shark clearly shows there are only 2 states for the card, one being rest at 0.825v and performance at 1.21v. However, having Afterburner running often stops this reading and turns it to -0.500v, so maybe it is adjusting something at least, assuming that GPU-Z is definitely reading the sensor information correctly, or in this case failing to read it because Afterburner has taken over voltage control as it should.

With this, there is the possibility that Afterburner is indeed altering the voltage and that these programs such as GPU-Z, Kombustor, AIDA64 etc are just reading the cards BIOS default voltage settings for the 3D/ Performance state which is set to 1.21v by MSI, rather than an actual current real-time core voltage reading.

Im confused :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi

Ive already tried using the MSI AMD driver, just to rule that out. As suspected, the MSI driver appears to be identical to the AMD one, just hosted on their own servers.

As far as using the various progs to alter the voltage on my MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5 card,
-AfterBurner does not seem to alter voltages, despite setting the slider. Its onscreen display and graphs show whatever you set the core voltage to but this doesn't match any other software readings, which still show 1.21v
-Sapphire Trixx will let me down-volt the core voltage. This change is reflected in other monitoring software, so 1.21v actually changes to display the lower reading of 1.1v which i selected

GPU-Z will clearly show the core VDDC as 0.825v at rest or 1.210v when in 3D/ performance mode. GPU Shark clearly shows there are only 2 states for the card, one being rest at 0.825v and performance at 1.21v. However, having Afterburner running often stops this reading and turns it to -0.500v, so maybe it is adjusting something at least, assuming that GPU-Z is definitely reading the sensor information correctly, or in this case failing to read it because Afterburner has taken over voltage control as it should.

With this, there is the possibility that Afterburner is indeed altering the voltage and that these programs such as GPU-Z, Kombustor, AIDA64 etc are just reading the cards BIOS default voltage settings for the 3D/ Performance state which is set to 1.21v by MSI, rather than an actual current real-time core voltage reading.

Not as confused as me. Keep pestering them about it, hopefully it will get fixed.

A quick search of google indicates its a common problem with this card and afterburner.

Associate
Hi

I have the same issue where no other programs register the voltages I set in afterburner. But I think you're wrong to assume the other progs are reading right. When I increase voltages in AB the temperatures go up, and stability increases so clearly the voltage is going up even though the other progs all show 3D voltage as 1210mv whatever I set.

Back
Top Bottom