Galaxy 3 Web page re-size?

Soldato
Hello,

My fiancé received her new Galaxy 3 yesterday and I’ve noticed that the text on a web page does not auto resize after zooming (in or out), I’ve had a quick read and this seems to be a known problem, although the pages I found were all quite old, I hope there is a fix for this in the settings but as I’m very new with Samsung implementation of Android I can’t find it as yet,

Anyone help me out?

(on the HTC Desire HD web pages resize as default without any issue)

Soldato
OP
After reading around I’m starting to come to that conclusion as well (is this the case for all “new” Android phones now? I’m looking at the Note 2 at the moment is that the same?)

If the above is the case which browser are people using and does it integrate – links open correctly (YouTube etc).

Seems a massive omission, reading web pages is one of the main functions and it doesn’t work “correctly” at stock…

Cheers

Soldato
Linking through to youtube is app integration (apps can "register" that they are interested in URLs so for example, youtube will intercept youtube.com links assuming you have it installed and have not said "don't do this every time" at the popup).

Browser text reflow is kinda special on Android - everyone has their own take on it. I much prefered the older Samsung browser's reflow (same as the desire HD). The new one i believe is different due to a patent issue although someone else would have to confirm this.

Strictly speaking -
Default's double tap zoom is user controllable in accessibility (think default is 100%) - Autofit is an option in "Advanced" options, it seems to work OKish.
ICS+ Browser has text reflow - This is probably the closest to your desire.
Crome uses double tap to scale to para or div object - this will become the new default Android browser going forward.
Firefox uses double tap to scale to paragraph or div object.

Soldato
This was the first thing I noticed on my week old S3 and the stock browser. I half expected it to be like iOS's Safari but I ended up using pinch just to get the size correct. I haven't seen what Firefox's web page sizing is like just yet.

Associate
I've experienced this issue on the S3, especially on forums. Having tried Chrome, Firefox et all, I found that the best browser for the forums that I read is Opera Mobile Web browser. Very smooth with reliable reflow.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a single browser setup just for the forums - in portrait:

ICS+ on my Galaxy S2:

322fd62d.png
Screenshot_2012-05-06-15-23-14.png

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Left is the stock browser with auto fit enabled. (doubled tapped to zoom on text) and right is chrome. (shame chrome is a bright skin and you can't get the address bar to hide)
Screenshot_2012-10-03-12-12-36.png
Screenshot_2012-10-03-12-13-46.png

Back
Top Bottom