Just signed up for an Ultra Marathon!

Soldato
After my somewhat long walk across the US this summer (2668 miles), I vowed that I wanted to keep my fitness level up and keep challenging myself. So I have just gone and signed for my first ever Ultra Marathon of 69 miles! :eek:

It's the Wall Race (www.thewallrun.com) from Carlisle to Newcastle via Hadrians wall. I'm not intending to purely run it at speed, it will be more of a fast hike with some running but as long as I do it under 24 hours I will be happy.

Has anyone else run an Ultra? I did try signing up to some in the Lake District this summer, but they are all fully booked already. I know this is going to hurt, but hopefully I have the mental stubbornness to push me through. :)

Soldato
Do you sleep during Ultra's? Presuming not. Anyway, wanting to do it in sub 24 hours, is only 3 miles an hour, so should be nicely achievable so long as you can keep up the stamina.

But no, I don't think you'd ever catch me doing one of these :p

Lunatic :p

My brother is doing lands end to john 'o groats on his bike in a few months. Just shy of 1000 miles in 14 days.

Got a flat mate who was considering doing this. That said, it doesn't seem quite as challenging as an ultra, on the basis it's 'only' about 71 miles a day. Which I know isn't a small amount, but on a bike, that's 2 35 mile sessions which doesn't seem too bad each day.

That said, you wouldn't catch me being stupid enough to do it xD

kd

Soldato
Apparently the hardest bit is getting out of Cornwall! It is costing him £1500 to do it with a company that organises the lot. Its think its more a battle of will with endurance especially with no rest day.

Neither would do me. Good luck OP!

Soldato
I'm really interested to see how you get on! I've run a few half marathons this year (wasn't running at all until March) and looking at a full one either next year or the year after but not sure if I will/could take it much further before my body starts to argue back! Looks like a great course so can certainly see why you picked it!

What's your progress been like in terms of race distances? Interested to know how long it's taken you to build up to signing up for a monster like this :)

Associate
I'm doing the London to Brighton challenge late May Bank holiday, 62 miles. Aiming for 20 hours, so taking a few hours rest into account and refuelling going for around 4 miles an hour on average.
(this is followed by a week in a quiet part of corfu on a beach ;])

Soldato
OP
You nutter :p

Fair play though, it's on the never-ending list of things I want to do at some point along with a plain marathon and Ironman Tri.

Yeah, I would love to do an Iron man at some time. Problem is I don't own a bike or do any swimming, so that kind of rules it out until I get those sorted! Even better than an Iron Man though is the Norse Man; http://www.nxtri.com/ :D

Do you sleep during Ultra's? Presuming not. Anyway, wanting to do it in sub 24 hours, is only 3 miles an hour, so should be nicely achievable so long as you can keep up the stamina.

But no, I don't think you'd ever catch me doing one of these :p

On this run there is the option of breaking it into 2 days, so an mid distance ultra each day, or doing it how I am in one single push through the night.

Yeah, apparently the fastest competitors are likely to complete the 69 miles in 12 hours or so, which I have no intention to try. As mentioned, I am not really doing it as a run, more of a 24 hour hike with a goal of seeing how far I can push myself in that time. I may jog in some easier parts to try and trim off some time, but I doubt I'll come in under 20 hours.

I'm really interested to see how you get on! I've run a few half marathons this year (wasn't running at all until March) and looking at a full one either next year or the year after but not sure if I will/could take it much further before my body starts to argue back! Looks like a great course so can certainly see why you picked it!

What's your progress been like in terms of race distances? Interested to know how long it's taken you to build up to signing up for a monster like this :)

Well that's where it gets interesting as so far I have done 2 running races; a 10k and a half marathon! :D

As mentioned though I did walk from Mexico to Canada this summer, a distance of 2668 miles over mountains with heavy pack loads and some very long days, so I know I can push myself mentally. With this ultra attempt I am planning on going 3.5-5mph with 10-15 minute breaks every 3-4 hours. So it's not really that similar to my other runs (I did the half marathon in 1hr 55mins) as its going to be a lot slower and more of a mental challenge. :)

Associate
A friend of mine did the 2 day Wall run last year as his first Ultra.

He went on to win it by over 30 minutes in just over 9 hours. He's doing the 1 day event this year so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 2 day race.

I quite fancy doing it but I'm training for Ironman this year so might attempt it next year.

Soldato
OP
A friend of mine did the 2 day Wall run last year as his first Ultra.

He went on to win it by over 30 minutes in just over 9 hours. He's doing the 1 day event this year so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 2 day race.

I quite fancy doing it but I'm training for Ironman this year so might attempt it next year.

Just over 9 hours is insane! :eek: If I can make it before Midnight on Saturday (So under 17 hours) I will be happy!

Congratulations on taking part in an Iron Man. That is somewhere on my bucket list, but seeing as I don't really swim or cycle it might take a fair bit of training to do one. I would love to do the Norse Man (http://www.nxtri.com/) :D

Associate
Good luck. I'm currently training for a Marathon myself. I can only imagine the amount of training and commitment required to do an Ultra. I'd be interested to know a bit about you training program. It must be tricky to get to the degree of fitness you require without an injury?

Caporegime
Lunatic :p

My brother is doing lands end to john 'o groats on his bike in a few months. Just shy of 1000 miles in 14 days.

Guy in our work, well in his 50's made a bike found from the scrapyard, cycled to john 'o groats from Lossiemouth to lands end, back to john o groats and then back to Lossie again.

On his own, no support team nothing. All paid for on his own, sleeping in bus shelters. Incredible, if you seen the guy you wouldn't think he could cycle to the end of the street.

The bike was a complete joke too, I wouldn't take it off him for free!

Infact I found a link - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...LzevWXWPIYBXg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.d2k&cad=rja

If this man can do it, you can do it! Infact, he proved anyone can do it!

He done very, very little training too. Complete nutter.

Soldato
OP
Less than 2 weeks to go... dum dum dum! :D

Keep thinking about a Bob Graham but thats about as far as it gets. Ultras are 90% mental 10% physical.

Well, at least I'll get 90% of the way round then! I'm mentally ready for it, We'll see if I am physically ready for it...

My target time is under 17 hours which would put me in before midnight. Can't wait to get out there and started now. :)

Associate
I'm planning to do one later this year, The Thames Path Challenge which is 100km. Aiming for an sub-18hr time walking/jogging it. No way I could run the entire thing but walking it should be easily do-able. Have the cheltenham marathon planned for next weekend and a few other long distance walks during the summer.

Caporegime
Got a flat mate who was considering doing this. That said, it doesn't seem quite as challenging as an ultra, on the basis it's 'only' about 71 miles a day. Which I know isn't a small amount, but on a bike, that's 2 35 mile sessions which doesn't seem too bad each day.

That said, you wouldn't catch me being stupid enough to do it xD

kd

Heh. I'm going to do LEJOG one of these days. In the next 5-10 years, I reckon.

71 miles is do-able in a day. 2 days in a row? Harder. I'd say by the end of the week you're gonna be pretty knackered, and you'll still have a week to go!

Caporegime
don't these actually do more damage to the body than good?

as in for fitness surely you should be looking to basically do 30 minutes worth of cardio at an intense pace (very high) per day.

Soldato
OP
don't these actually do more damage to the body than good?

as in for fitness surely you should be looking to basically do 30 minutes worth of cardio at an intense pace (very high) per day.

Who ever said this was for fitness? It's for the challenge, not for fitness. For fitness, I walk briskly 5 miles every week day, then a 15-20 mile walk on the weekend and a 10-20 mile run on the weekend. Doing something like an Ultra is also very good for your mental health and it gives you a great, lasting sense of achievement. :)

Back
Top Bottom