best place to buy euro's

Associate
Check out the rates but I find some of the best rates are available by pre-ordering and picking up at the airport - you only get the special rate if you pre-order

Associate
Wrong Wrong Wrong

Try Ace FX. or if you have to use Post Office do it online as you get a far better rate

What are you talking about mate !!

Travelex - pre-order for pick up at Airport: £1 = 1.142 Euro
Post Office - pre-order: £1 = 1.1330 Euro

Ace is slightly better, Ace FX: £1 - 1.143 but there is a £5 delivery charge (if you cannot get to central London) for orders under £1k

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Lol don't get it from the Post office.

Order some online @ https://www.iceplc.com/

They will also buy back any left over currency (up to a certain amount) at the same rate you got it for. My sister recently used them and I had some Euro's of my own that I sent back with hers and got a fantatstic rate. It was even over their max return limit but they still changed it at the orginal rate.

Man of Honour

Ace is slightly better, Ace FX: £1 - 1.143

All those rates are crap.

Take the right credit or debit card and get £1 - 1.166, more convenience, no faff and no extra charges.

If you live in London, open a current account with Metrobank. Free cash withdrawls at Visa rate.

Associate

Ace is slightly better, Ace FX: £1 - 1.143 but there is a £5 delivery charge (if you cannot get to central London) for orders under £1k

I meant wrong wrong wrong to go to post office.

I don't know if the Post Office owner sets their own rates but the one in our town are robbing b******s

When I went to Turkey one time they offered 231 lira for a pound PostOffice-online were offering 248

Man of Honour
Dont buy them. pull them out the wall when you are on holiday. charges you about £1.50 but the rate you get is very good

No, you are charged two things - firstly a cash withdrawl fee which is typically circa £1.50 and then 2.99% of the total amount. So although the rate is good, they'll hit you with two sets of extra charges.

+1, £500+ delivered for the best rates

Justtt ARGHGHGHG at the entire concept of buying £500 worth of Euros in cash to take abroad with you! It's just stupid - you end up carrying large amounts of cash, which is a security risk, which you've just bought at some crappy rate anyway, then when you get there you feel compelled to blow all of it becuase the rate you'll get selling it back is even worse.

It's really NOT difficult to ensure you hold the right set of credit or debit cards to make these stupid fees and the concept of buying 500 quids worth of paper currency a thing of the past.

Associate
Dont buy them. pull them out the wall when you are on holiday. charges you about £1.50 but the rate you get is very good

You can get pre-paid debit cards which do not charge for ATM withdrawals. You just pay the x-rate at the time you load the card. You can also load whilst away if you run out.

Associate
[TW]Fox;24147945 said:
Justtt ARGHGHGHG at the entire concept of buying £500 worth of Euros in cash to take abroad with you! It's just stupid - you end up carrying large amounts of cash, which is a security risk, which you've just bought at some crappy rate anyway, then when you get there you feel compelled to blow all of it becuase the rate you'll get selling it back is even worse.

It's really NOT difficult to ensure you hold the right set of credit or debit cards to make these stupid fees and the concept of buying 500 quids worth of paper currency a thing of the past.

Agreed, I have pre-paid debit cards for USD and Euro as I find it much more convenient and no need to carry cash around.

Unfortunately, not everyone travels as much and/or leave it late so don't have time to apply, hence cash or travellers cheques.

The OP said he hasn't been to Europe for a while so may not have the right cards and will need to apply.

Can't type for toffee
Don
When we went to amsterdam I foudn teh best possibel rate I could increased it by a small anount and just walked to the Currecny exchange place in Asda.

Asked about buying the cash gave teh example rate she phones Im assuming some form of supervisor and OK'd it :)

Previously I've used M&S who normally seem very competitive.

Permabanned
Yeah I agree with what you said above, Fox. I think some of it is a generational thing, my manager goes away regularly and stills takes a myriad of cash / cheques etc in fear of cashpoint charges, 'risk' etc.

The rates RBS charge me for yanking out Euros or Dollars isn't any worse than pishing about with currency from the highstreet.

Same with my phone bill, never had it costing silly money for roaming. Just moved to 3 though so I've no idea about them.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;24147945 said:

lol your joking right? ive got several trips to europe this year and il be buying the euro cash to serve those trips as pocket money, il probably get 500-1k's worth of euros in 1 transaction, its no big deal, get over yourself tbh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom