Planters [DIY] *HAPPY!

Permabanned
First time I have ever set my hands on a mitre saw and built myself something. This is the beginning....

NOTE: I did get the middle wood panel the other way around so the pictures shows a dark piece of wood
(I turned it around after the pic to match the reset of the wood).

I do need to stain and protect it.

1 hour build time and 3 cup of teas... YEY!

T4y1Hyz.jpg

Soldato
Very good, hexagonal shape is a good one for planters.
Need several coats of a good exterior wood preservative, & few drainage holes in the base.

One tip, mitre the corners, looks smarter than showing end grain, & top rim again mitre corners & screw from inside.

And treat yourself to a screw counterbore set, & plug cutter set. then you can show off by gluing in wooden plugs over screws, plus you can buy garden planter liners in various sizes to fit planters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just out of interest how much did the materials cost you?

May have to nick the idea and start making some myself...possibly even make to sell at carboots!

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the tips guys. Will put them to good use on my next adventure. I am seeking ideas.

Just out of interest how much did the materials cost you?

May have to nick the idea and start making some myself...possibly even make to sell at carboots!

For that planter ! BNQ - £6.50 for wood, I used my parents mitre saw and screws cost me £3.00 for a box! so less than a £10er to build!!! Bargain!

Got to stain it too so that will be around £3.00 to £8.00. But overall not bad considering I can't find them cheaper for under £20.00!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the tips guys. Will put them to good use on my next adventure. I am seeking ideas.

For that planter ! BNQ - £6.50 for wood, I used my parents mitre saw and screws cost me £3.00 for a box! so less than a £10er to build!!! Bargain!

Got to stain it too so that will be around £3.00 to £8.00. But overall not bad considering I can't find them cheaper for under £20.00!

If you are seriously looking at it as a hobby, best to go down local timber or builders merchants, be much cheaper.

Great little idea though.

Soldato
I seen planters made from timber decking, either softwood or hardwood looked good with the grooves.

Old trick of mine is to drill a hole 9mm-12mm diameter to a depth of 150mm or so in a leg & fill with preservative & glue in a plug.

Also done this with fence post, using a larger hole.

Last edited:
Soldato
And treat yourself to a screw counterbore set, & plug cutter set. then you can show off by gluing in wooden plugs over screws, plus you can buy garden planter liners in various sizes to fit planters.

Any chance you could link to an example of the type of kit you're suggesting, sounds like something that could come in handy in the coming weeks with all the diy I am going to be doing!

Soldato
Certainly,Hinge drills are great, it makes sure pilot hole is dead centre, when you fit a hinge.
Also got a couple of the Veritas Tapered Snug Plug Cutters,covers No 8 & No 10 screws, cuts a taper plug, can't remember where I got them from.

I listed Toolstation links, had my plug cutters & sink set years, again no idea where I bought them, could have been Yandles,Axminster, but have a Google & see what's available.

EDIT: Must point out, there two types of plug cutters available, one for hardwood, & one for softwood, & don't mix brand of plug cutter, as size varies between makers.
The ones I link too are ok for hardwood & softwood.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow... Chucks/Hinge Drill Bit Set/d80/sd1400/p93697

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...ium+Plug+Cutter+Set+4+Piece/d80/sd1120/p72650

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...ucks/Screw+Sink+Set+4+Piece/d80/sd1400/p98353

Just had a ferret, sure I got mine from screwfix, with plug cutters you need to use a slow speed.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/disston-screwdiggers-plug-cutters-set-4pcs/35920?_requestid=257475

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom