Pump and Res possition in new case

Associate
I'm undecided and wondered if I could have peoples comments on the position of my pump / res in my new case Corsair Carbide Air 540 :)

The first and most obvious choice is this one...
PumpPos1.jpg

This will give good height and allow for a slightly bigger res if I want. Downsides are the pump is low in the loop and filling will be awkward.

Second choice...
PumpPos2.jpg

This is a bit tighter and a bit more awkward to fix, but is higher up and would enable the adding of a fill port to the top of the case if I wanted to.
What worries me is that it is directly over the PSU, which feels like a bad idea.

Any thoughts please guys?

Soldato
Where is the radiator going?

To the side of the psu could cause issues with tube angles unless you have some 90 degree connections?

As for above the psu it looks like the easier bet. I can understand your concerns though. Then again if coolant leaks (other than "non-conductive" fluid) if the powers on you're liable to trash anything it comes into contact with anyway, so being on top of psu shouldn't carry anymore risk than normal (I think).

How is the case by the way? A mate has been looking at one recently.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Where is the radiator going?

To the side of the psu could cause issues with tube angles unless you have some 90 degree connections?

As for above the psu it looks like the easier bet. I can understand your concerns though. Then again if coolant leaks (other than "non-conductive" fluid) if the powers on you're liable to trash anything it comes into contact with anyway, so being on top of psu shouldn't carry anymore risk than normal (I think).

How is the case by the way? A mate has been looking at one recently.

I'm doing 360 rad to the front and a 240 top see my build thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24612951&posted=1#post24612951

The more I look the more I like the thought of the second option and a fill port on top of the case.

Case only arrived today and I'm very impressed by the way it's put together.

Soldato
Argh sorry didnt realise there was a build thread with the rad posistions in. I definatly agree with the 2nd posistion.

Fill port would be a lovely mod. You have the fan mesh behind it which I'm sure could be modded to provide support. And it's at a much better angle for tubing.

Maybe a rubber (tasteful) cover over the top of the psu for peace of mind?

First posistion would have some issues with space especially when the psu cables go in.

I look forward to seeing your build go :) (really like the orange fan rings)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I look forward to seeing your build go :) (really like the orange fan rings)

Thanks mate :)

Ok mounting it in position 2, but would welcome any other feedback ref the PSU. the case has hex venting just there and I can mount through this, although I will probably have to add some strengthening at some point.

I'm afraid the fan shrouds are Red, not Orange... poor photo, but ur right in the photo they do look kind of cool. The theme for the case is Black, red and Chrome.

Soldato
Can't go wrong with chrome :D ill link my mate to your build log for some inspiration :)

Maybe try that hydrophobic spray and paint the exterior of the psu that should keep it nice and dry :)

Side note: rather jealous of the twin 680's :(

Last edited:
Soldato
That was some fast work :) is the pump support ok?

Maybe a bit of rubber or foam behind the pump to kill some vibration? (Don't know how loud the d5 is)

Associate
OP
That was some fast work :) is the pump support ok?

Maybe a bit of rubber or foam behind the pump to kill some vibration? (Don't know how loud the d5 is)

nor do I, best thing to do is get it going tomorrow and see what it's like. I wanted to have short run of tube between the Fill port and the Res, but its too close.

Associate
OP
How are you finding your D5 vibration wise and how is the rotor noise? Considering replacing my aged 10w ddc with one.

TBH I was shocked by the noise. If I run at full speed its terrible, but if I turn it down a notch (from 5 to 4) its fairly silent.

I wonder if I have it mounted quite right or if there is an air pocket in there as its a strange noise. It is a big pump though and seems to work very well on the slightly lower speed, so I'm happy.

Associate
I do find any kind of attachment to the case produces intrusive sound and the 540 does have the mesh at that location for sound to escape. You could detach and hand hold it while running to verify if it is the mounting or the pump itself that is the source. How is the case generally for noise escape compared to other cases you've had?

It's that noticeable a drop from settings 5 to 4? Really tempted to get one to run at 1/2 settings. Like you say being a bigger pump it should be capable at the lower speeds and fingers crossed quieter than the ddc.

edit: really nice build btw, took a dip earlier in the case subforum and saw your thread. Looking neat and oh so shiny, perfect. The temptation...

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you actually need the vent behind it? (Any air coming out?) if not you could close it off with a rubber sheet and mount onto the rubber should knock out a lot of vibration.

Soldato
I find that d5's are noisy when in contact with ANYTHING. So i have Foam on the base (2cm worth) and long tubeing from it. makes it silent on number 3. And i mean Silent. all fans off silent

Back
Top Bottom