VSS Error 8194 on Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Associate
Hey guys

Having a weird issue with our work server that I setup (somehow, as I'm new to the server realm).

Basically, I've managed to get all the little errors ironed out, all except for this annoying VSS Error that seems to only happen between 8PM and 6AM.

This is the error message I get:

VSS Error 8194
Volume Shadow Copy Service Error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr =0x80070005. Access is denied. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requester process.

Now I have no idea what this means nor how to fix it, so I'm hoping some of you clever people can give me an idea of solution. Greatly appreciate all and any help received.

Associate
This issue usually occurs when using a 3rd party backup program that utilizes Windows VSS (Volume Shadow Service) and has its own requestor.

It looks like the requestor (the backup application) does not allow system writer to call back into their process and hence generates the error in the application log.
Can you supply any more information regarding the backup product you use?

Also if you open a command prompt and run the following command it will list the VSS writers and the state they are in (failed or stable)

Associate
OP
I believe it does coincide with livedrive backups yeah. Just ran the Vssadmin list writers and it's reporting no errors.

Associate
Ok so it sounds like the account being used doesn't have access, a bit of googling turns up this to add your account:
1. The following example grants access to the "MyDomain\MyUser" account:
2. Click on Start, type regedit in the search box.
3. On the Registry Editor window, navigate to the below location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>VSS>VssAccessControl <--- ADD KEY
MyDomain\MyUser = 1 <- ADD VALUE

Make sure you backup the key in case you need to restore.

Associate
OP
Do you mean "add string"? As when I add key, it creates a subfolder. Have confirmed it is our backup program causing the errors now!

Associate
when you navigate to VSS it should have a folder on the left called VssAccessControl, in this folder you need to create a new DWORD with a name of: domain\username with the value data set at 1

Back
Top Bottom