Nation of meat eating animal lovers?

Soldato
OK, I have started this thread as I feel strongly about it.
I was shocked to hear of the recent arson attack at the Manchester dogs home, however I was more shocked to hear the response of OCUK members to this attack.

"Not much makes me angry, but this does"

"I'm sat here blubbing"

etc.

I have started this thread to keep things on topic and not derail the Manchester dogs home thread (Sorry for that).

I care for animals, but this goes way beyond Cats and Dogs. I am a vegetarian and feel guilty about eating meat as we do not need to do so to remain healthy.

Modern farming methods are absolutely horrendous, particularly dairy farming.
It was research into this that finally made me become vegetarian.
I am not strictly against eating meat however, I would eat meat in a survival situation or if there was absolutely no option, I am more against modern farming methods and animal cruelty.
The 'River Cottage' approach of animals having a happy life before going to slaughter is easier on the conscience, but we can still live healthy lives without eating meat.

I was also very upset to hear about the restarting of the Badger culling program, over 7,000 animals were killed, many of which had to be shot more than once, before crawling off to die in agony.
Only around 1.5% of the carcasses had infectious TB.

7,000 wild animals vs 43 stray dogs?

I know which upsets me more, yet people can't connect with badgers, or cows, or pigs as we don't have them as pets in our homes.

Please consider double standards and research modern animal farming, I'm sure if you pet lovers did, many of you would not eat meat again.

Caporegime
I think you are quite dense, in regards to some of the comments in that Arson thread - how do you know their views on the badger cull or farming? You don't and you're just being a tool.

I don't like Dogs being burnt by arsonists, I don't agree with the badger cull and I don't really like modern farming but whatever, I like eating meat so I'll just have to cry myself to sleep every night.

Associate
You can live without eating meat, but you can't live healthily without it. 3 of 4 vegetarians I have known have gone back to eating meat because they could not stand what it was doing to their bodies without it. They bordered on anorexia, felt tired all day, tended to feel nauseous a fair few times a day, and generally just didn't feel too good. So in some part, we generally DO need meat, but can find ways to LIVE without it, but not a necessarily healthy option

Soldato
Well you have researched cruelty in modern farming, why not save us the time and give us some examples?

I'm curious as my gfs father is a dairy farmer back in Ireland and takes good care of his stock. They live as good a life as could be expected and are humanely slaughtered at the end.

If everyone was a vegetarian cows, pigs, sheep and other farmed species would long since be extinct as their habitats were destroyed to make way for the vastly greater swathes of land required for crops. I'm not arguing that their lives are perfect but I for one don't feel guilty about eating meat.

As for feeling sympathy towards dogs? That's quite simple, they are more intelligent and provide great companions for many humans. Something a cow or a pig just can't do.

For the record I would empathise with a herd of cows that were burnt alive in a barn fire as well so your comparison is a little invalid. Just because we eat meat doesn't mean we don't care for animals in these situations.

Soldato
Feeling pretty neutral about dogs, and pets in general, I always find myself bemused by the reactions cute animals raise in people. Not that dogs are especially cute, mind.

The hypocracy of the "animal lovers" in the dog thread, in response to your posts is difficult to stomach, especially once you have educated yourself on the journey your chicken nuggets went on to arrive on your plate.

You also see such hypocracy with regards game hunting. Killing for the fun of sport is apparently much less noble than killing for the fun of taste (in the form of eating). As you correctly point out, OP, eating meat is not necessary for good health, so the only reason to do so is for enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom