Children required to walk with their hands behind their back at school.

Permabanned
A new head has taken over my daughters school, one of her new rules is that all the pupils must walk with their hands behind their backs when ever they are moving around inside the school.

We haven't been formally informed of this change and to be honest when our daughter told us we thought she had got the wrong end of the stick, as it turns out she is correct.

What do you all think of this, I think it is ridiculous personally, I don't see it serves any purpose whatsoever.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I can't actually describe my response to that in words, but this picture might:

spit-take.jpg

But yes, that does seem very, very ridiculous.

Soldato
Most discipline is ridiculous but it serves a purpose. Better to support the head than oppose it in my opinion, few people are ruined by unnecessary dicipline many are ruined by its absence.

Soldato
Invite parents to a secret meeting. Tell their kids to fake injuries/tripping over because they were not allowed to walk in an inherently human manner by using their arms for balance.

Soldato
I always think stuff like this more about instilling a sense of discipline, as opposed to doing something that you will always do in the future. We had to stand up when a teacher walked into the classroom, but I wouldn't stand up if a more senior manager walked into a meeting room.

Soldato
Have you considered talking to the head to see the reasoning behind it?

Is it a primary school? I'd suggest walking in this manner is actually pretty dangerous for balance or breaking a fall if someone trips.

Permabanned
OP
Has your daughter's school got nothing worse for you to complain about?

was just thinking if this is the kind of thing to worry about.... it is a lot better than most of the schools around here

That is the thing, there has never been a reason to complain about the school, it has been nothing short of excellent, OFSTED rate it as outstanding, there is all sorts of extra curriculum mentoring/tutoring.

I have no issue with change but this change seems ridiculous in my opinion.

Permabanned
I always think stuff like this more about instilling a sense of discipline, as opposed to doing something that you will always do in the future. We had to stand up when a teacher walked into the classroom, but I wouldn't stand up if a more senior manager walked into a meeting room.

Which is the reason why you'll always have a more senior manager. Stand up man, the fact you're the only one doing it gets attention (positive)

Also raise your hand before asking questions. It's good etiquette.

Man of Honour
That is the thing, there has never been a reason to complain about the school, it has been nothing short of excellent, OFSTED rate it as outstanding, there is all sorts of extra curriculum mentoring/tutoring.

I have no issue with change but this change seems ridiculous in my opinion.

How do you think it's going to affect your daughter's otherwise excellent tuition?

Permabanned
OP
Most discipline is ridiculous but it serves a purpose. Better to support the head than oppose it in my opinion, few people are ruined by unnecessary dicipline many are ruined by its absence.

There has never been an issue with displace as far as I am aware, again I have nothing but praise for the school until this came in.

Have you considered talking to the head to see the reasoning behind it?

Is it a primary school? I'd suggest walking in this manner is actually pretty dangerous for balance or breaking a fall if someone trips.

It is a primary school, I haven't spoken to the head. The only reason we know about the change is because the pupils have mentioned it, it hasn't been communicated officially.

Back
Top Bottom