• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

High core clocks when rog swift in 144hz

Soldato
Just installed my 980 in SLI. I have my rog swift on 144hz and my 2 cards are in very tight SLI and core clocks on top card only were 1150 something all the time. Bottom card was fine. I was like wtf is going on. once I dropped rog swift to 120hz the top card clocked down? I was happy, but Is there a way for me to have 144hz and still have top card clocked down. Don't like it that high at idle.

Soldato
You need to set Windows/desktop to 1440/120hz and full screen games to 1440/144hz, it seems the grunt required to drive 1440/144hz even on desktop requires raised core clocks :)

Soldato
To elaborate on what pgi947 said - set your desktop to 120hz, and then in the NV control panel there is an option under 'manage 3d settings' for 'preferred refresh rate'.

The theory is, if you set this to 'highest available' in the dropdown, then in games the swift will bump up to 144hz, and then when you exit a game it will go back to 120hz, thus allowing proper idle clocks on the desktop (144hz on the desktop does not allow my top card to clock down fully either).

HOWEVER, it doesn't work! At least not for me. My swift will clock up to 144hz in games, but won't go back down to 120hz on the desktop automatically.

Don't know if it's an SLI issue, but I've given up for now and just run 120hz all the time. Don't really need 144hz in games anyway I guess.

Soldato
OP
To elaborate on what pgi947 said - set your desktop to 120hz, and then in the NV control panel there is an option under 'manage 3d settings' for 'preferred refresh rate'.

The theory is, if you set this to 'highest available' in the dropdown, then in games the swift will bump up to 144hz, and then when you exit a game it will go back to 120hz, thus allowing proper idle clocks on the desktop (144hz on the desktop does not allow my top card to clock down fully either).

HOWEVER, it doesn't work! At least not for me. My swift will clock up to 144hz in games, but won't go back down to 120hz on the desktop automatically.

Don't know if it's an SLI issue, but I've given up for now and just run 120hz all the time. Don't really need 144hz in games anyway I guess.

hahaha that worked a treat wunkley. Cheers :)

Soldato

Cheers, this is what I meant, had a complete brain fart without my desktop in front of me to find your post in the swift thread on it :p

Have you tried a ddu sweep and clean drivers?

Associate
Hm, I'm having the same issue.

Neither card goes below 1240mhz, even if I disable the RoG Swift or set it to 60hz.

I thought my idle power use in Corsair Link was high...

Soldato
Cheers, this is what I meant, had a complete brain fart without my desktop in front of me to find your post in the swift thread on it :p

Have you tried a ddu sweep and clean drivers?

Here's an odd thing. It does actually work when playing and exiting *most* games. But for some it doesn't. Skyrim is one example and just happens to be the game I was playing today and testing it out on. Stays at 144hz on the desktop.

I'm a bit stumped as to why this might be as it clocks back down to 120 for other games. :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom