Best pump D5 or DDC 3.2?

Soldato
I've got a 3930k with 2 rads, an xspc 240 and alphacool nexxos 140/60mm. i may want to add gfx cards and more rads in future.

I thought it was hands down the D5 but i seem to be reading a lot about DDC flow rates being better...

Which is best/what's the difference??

Associate
Can I link this here: http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/05/swiftech-mcp50x-pump/?

If not, let me summarise. The MCP35X in that review is a DDC with a PWM control and Swiftech's top which is probably the best performer. MCP50X is their own design, and not Laing. In a low restriction loop, D5 would give more flow and be quieter/cooler. So with your loop as it is now, I'd dare say D5 would be great and the DDC would likely overheat without a heatsink if run at full speed.

If you add in more blocks and rads, then the loop restriction increases. I don't know if it will increase to the point where the DDC will be the way to go. I would personally go D5 now and see if it can still work well when you expand.

Associate
Depends on loop restriction,sensitivity to noise and case airflow.

DDC's,18w's especially at full power in low restriction loops,are hot running and noisier than the D5

They also require airflow as the heat they generate is dispersed airside.

That said,in a high restriction loop,they are,on paper, the better choice.

D5's are different,they are quiet,even at full speed and are cooled by the loop,no need for great airflow. They are plenty powerful for multiple blocks.

If you want the best performance regardless,then a D5 Strong with a 24v controller is the most powerful pump available bar the Iwaki pumps.

Associate
Depends on loop restriction,sensitivity to noise and case airflow.

D5's are different,they are quiet,even at full speed and are cooled by the loop,no need for great airflow. They are plenty powerful for multiple blocks.

If you want the best performance regardless,then a D5 Strong with a 24v controller is the most powerful pump available bar the Iwaki pumps.

100% agree with this, after hours of research, the D5 is the winner for me in this situation, as hate noise, plus the D5 at 24v is a monster, so i see it as a clear winner.

Saying that, if there was ever any restriction options, go for a duel D5 res / bay as then you have twice the power and still no noise, unlike if you had two DDC's, that would be a racket ;)

Permabanned
DDC = More powerful so will give better flow rates in restrictive loops.

D5 = Less powerful so will give lower flow rates in restrictive loops but is quieter.

I have a PWM D5 as well as a PWM DDC and I prefer the DDC.

Associate
By powerful you are referring to head pressure. If you look at the P-Q curves for the pumps, at zero restriction the D5 has higher flow and this continues on for a while.

Associate
Looking at that my VPP655 looks to out perform it and available here in the UK.

1500l/h = 25l/m

I know its not all about that but maybe a good option with a quality top.

Associate
Do is it possible to run any D5 at 24v? So the ek d5 pwm bay res would be a good choice?

You can run any D5 at 24v but you need the D5 Strong (koolance is the only pc WC manufacturer that supplies them,you can get them elsewhere with a bit of hunting but you will have to change the plugs to molex) to get the extra performance.
A standard D5 at 24v wont give much,if any,extra performance

No, you need a D5S (Strong) that takes in power via molex (like this: http://koolance.com/pmp-450s-pump-id-13mm-1-2in) and a 12-24v adapter/controller like this: http://koolance.com/pump-or-fan-speed-controller-ctr-spd1224m

Not sure about UK options, maybe B Neg can chime in.

You are right,its the Koolance pump with the controller that gives the extra oompf over the standard D5.

Gegegg?

Associate
I ran my loop on a single d5 for a long time without issue. Awesome temps and no noise. 2x 1080 rads, CPU block, and 3x GPU blocks.

Tbh I used to be like you, the real pain in the ass is this. unless you have a flow meter how do you know its fine. temps are not really an indicator as if you have a slow flow rate your loosing some performance, yes most prob not a lot but some depending on the flow rate.

Tbh I wish I had never bought a flow meter while my temps are really good, I still have air in my system which wont shift because the pumps wont shift the air around. I have x2 d5s in my loop and i only get 157 lph so im moving to x2 3.2 ddcs.

Associate
Tbh I used to be like you, the real pain in the ass is this. unless you have a flow meter how do you know its fine. temps are not really an indicator as if you have a slow flow rate your loosing some performance, yes most prob not a lot but some depending on the flow rate.

Tbh I wish I had never bought a flow meter while my temps are really good, I still have air in my system which wont shift because the pumps wont shift the air around. I have x2 d5s in my loop and i only get 157 lph so im moving to x2 3.2 ddcs.

Of course they are,they are the primary purpose of the whole thing,if temps are good then thats all you need to know.

If you have airpockets then rock the rig about,leave it on its back,etc. As long as the pump inlet is always submerged however.

Flowrate is overrated as a performance metric,rads and fans are your biggest performance influence.

Back
Top Bottom