Review of the Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro CPU block

Associate
Introduction

I first heard of Watercool (the company) in 2012 when I was beginning to get interested in building my own PC. They have been around for what seems like ages now, making some very memorable products in the area of custom loop watercooling. In fact, their MO-RA3 420 Pro radiator is something I don’t think I will ever let go of, and I have since come to become a fan of their unique waterblocks also. So when they announced that the successor to their Heatkiller III CPU block was coming out, I jumped at the chance to take a look at it myself. As with most CPU blocks, this comes in a variety of options to choose from including also a Pro version and a Basic version.

Let’s begin by taking a look at the specs courtesy the product page:

Specifications:
Material: Copper (top, bottom plate), polished stainless steel (brackets, inlay), nickel-plated brass ( Easy-Mount-System)
Dimensions (L x W x H): 66 x 59 x 17 mm
Weight: ca. 450 g
Sealing: NBR 70
Threads: 2x G ¼ inch (DIN ISO 228-1)
Thread distance: 25 mm
Socket compatibility INTEL:1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3

Included:
HEATKILLER® IV PRO (INTEL processor) PURE COPPER
Mounting material / Manual

Now keep in mind that the materials used depends on the exact variant you choose, with this being a full copper version. Given that, it also weighs more than the usual acetal/delrin/plexi style waterblocks at a whopping 450g. For those wondering why thread distance is a listed specification here given how others rarely report it, it is because the Heatkiller III had compatibility issues with larger fittings (1/2″ x 3/4″ compression fittings, for example) due to the ports being quite close to each other. This time, with 25mm of spacing, they have ensured compatibility on par with most CPU blocks on the market and allowing even some of the larger diameter 1/2″ x 3/4″ compression fittings to fit on easily.

The keen eyes viewers would have noticed that there is no mention of (a) warranty, (b) AMD socket compatibility and (c) a backplate for the smaller Intel sockets such as LGA 115x. For the first part, let me refer you to their standard RMA policy which lists a 24 month warranty period for all their products, including this one. We will address the latter two in the review as we continue on.

Unboxing and Overview

ImDrg1Ml.jpg

hz4et9yl.jpg

0C6xmY7l.jpg

B9CbZIal.jpg

The waterblock comes in a small and attractive box, with it showing off the water block and also letting you know that this was made in Germany. You can also see that this particular block was packaged less than a month ago.

Let’s now open the box:

B9CbZIal.jpg

UTsmIgGl.jpg

We are greeted to an instruction manual which I REALLY encourage owners to read. For those wanting a soft copy, Watercool has you covered.

bHPmVjtl.jpg

Below that is a sight for sore eyes- a nice, thick piece of protective soft foam.

HdhNeXDl.jpg

You can see the imprint of the CPU block on the bottom there, so we can expect to see it below:

II0OnEul.jpg

There it is, with the mounting accessories alongside. Let’s take a look at the accessory kit first:

irC33S6l.jpg

There are 3 “compartments”, if you will which are sealed off from each other and in a sealed bag as well. In the first compartment, we see a mutual set of components that are not necessarily socket specific:

5qVTytEl.jpg

Here you have an Hex key, 4 metal springs and 4 metal washers. Best to use a blade or knife and open each compartment slightly at the top in case you want to re-use the packaging for storage of these parts. I would have preferred zip lock plastic pouches but sealed bags are a trend here as we will see.

7QXGQYPl.jpg

The second compartment contains parts specific to the Intel sockets LGA 115x and 1366. You have here some of the parts that comprise what Watercool calls their EasyMountSystem. Unless specifically mentioned, these are nickel plated brass parts. From the left, we have 4 studs that have a female threading at one end and a male threading at the other, 8 plastic washers, 4 knurled nuts, and at the bottom we see 4 M4X8 screws which have a Hex head (hence the Hex key earlier).

pONgMwgl.jpg

n compartment 3, we have the parts specific to Intel LGA 2011/2011-3 with there being only 4 long studs that have the knurled cap at one end and a male threading (M4) at the other. Needless to say, LGA 2011/2011-3 will end up having the easiest of installations.

Now let’s address why there is nothing for AMD sockets. The manual lists compatibility with AMD sockets 939, 940, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM2 and FM2+. At this point anyway, the AMD specific parts are not available for purchase yet and if things change, I assume they will be made available in here along with the AMD socket specific mounting brackets.

We also see that Watercool has not included any thermal paste to go along with the CPU block. While most enthusiasts will swear by one brand only and will use it anyway, I would have liked to see them include thermal paste here for the first time users.

Now for the block:

C9hU4WEl.jpg

We see that it is resting on another piece of soft foam. Aside from the sides, the CPU block is very well protected. Even on the sides, it is the mounting bracket that will be impacted before the block itself.

UKQTgFYl.jpg

The block comes in a sealed bag as with the accessories, and this ensures that you get a new looking block even with the full copper version which can be prone to oxidation when exposed to the ambient environment.

O8QHqRbl.jpg

Can I just say here how much I love the looks of this? I know aesthetics are personal, but it does look like CPU blocks get a lot of thought into the aesthetics these days and I am more than ok with that. Watercool and Aquacomputer also have a good history of knowing how to make two different metals work well together, as is evident with the stainless steel part in the middle that houses the logo. If it matters, the block actually weighed 422 grams here, not 450g as listed in the product page. The manual itself lists 420g so I believe the product page might need updating.

The stainless steel part on the front is polished to a near mirror finish as seen here:

5M4N7oCl.jpg

You can also see the threaded G/14 ports in the copper top which ensure there is little risk of them stripping or the top cracking from fittings being tightened more than needed- something that plexi can be prone to.

The copper itself is not polished such and has machining marks that can be seen if you get up close:

Rd8nRTSl.jpg

The logo on the front is likely laser etched, explaining the green hue to it:

lqG2qAxl.jpg

Now on to the back:

1ZLE5hAl.jpg

We see hear a protective paper film that keeps the cold plate clean till you are ready for installation.

PWHkoVUl.jpg

Despite the sealing done, you can see here that the exposed copper has had some oxidization as evident from the difference in the finish compared to the surface that was covered.

Here too, we see some machining marks and no polishing:

Y5xEBZ3l.jpg

OCqacT2l.jpg

On the side, we get our first look at the different copper pieces that comprise the block:

oCir3tll.jpg

Before we proceed to open up the block, let me show what the optional Intel LGA 115x backplate looks like. This is an optional extra, and has its own product page.

lQFzQ1Dl.jpg

Vz8e6dWl.jpg

As with the block itself, the backplate comes in a sealed bag with a piece of soft foam on one side. I wonder why they did not go with another piece of foam to protect the other side too, but the bag itself did a good job of keeping it clean.

rD0lR2Kl.jpg

The side of the backplate that comes in contact with the motherboard has an insulating layer as you can see here. There are also four screws that jut out from the corners:

LjQVKi9l.jpg

These screws have a washer on the bottom to further ensure no issues with the board shorting out. You can also see now how the plastic washers and the 4 screws that are provided with the block work if you go with the backplate-less installation.

The other side of the backplate is extremely shiny and is polished to a mirror finish:

2FL28ecl.jpg

LOnz3fql.jpg

RrZx1t5l.jpg

Let’s now take a better look at the pieces that make up the waterblock.

Disassembly

As always, disassembly was done only after all the testing was completed followed by a wipe-down and drying.

To open up the block, one needs to use a Hex key (not the same as the one provided) on the 4 screws holding everything together on the bottom:

bpZeqj0l.jpg

3eyXVZml.jpg

This pretty much results in all the pieces of the block coming apart:

5tFLBs3l.jpg

You have the top itself, the cold plate, and 2 halves of the Intel mounting bracket. This is also where the AMD socket compatibility comes in, as Watercool has to make different pieces for the AMD mounting bracket.

wSdL5DWl.jpg

The cold plate itself has 78 micro fins carved into it, such that flow coming from the middle is then split into two and goes outwards towards the ends where the fins terminate. You can also see the imprint from the gasket on the outside.

v3AgN3Tl.jpg

The cold plate itself is thinner than in most CPU blocks. Here, most of the action is in the top piece itself. But before we get to that, let’s take a look at those brackets:

JjBG20pl.jpg

tla88qll.jpg

These are stainless steel, and thick. The outside part is smoothed out whereas the inside part which goes into the block itself has some sharp sections so be careful.

Now the top piece:

YCaQypdl.jpg

You can see the rubber gasket still in place there. One thing that you don’t see is the usual jetplate that helps direct the flow onto the middle of the fins on the cold plate and split it either direction. That is actually built into the top itself as you see in the middle here:

ikvYHAXl.jpg

YwK6Hjel.jpg

Even the insides retain the machining marks:

ejjvXMgl.jpg

4Q4mzKCl.jpg

If I seem to be too obsessed with this machining marks, then I apologize. In reality they affect nothing really, and most of it is not seen anyway.

There are two rubber slits on the top and bottom on this section:

NWT9LVzl.jpg

These coincide with where the fins end on the cold plate, thus making sure that the coolant does not escape from the top or bottom.

6nOJD70l.jpg

Here you see the screw holes that hold everything in place, and again won’t have the threads strip easily due to the metal being used.

Finally, a look at where the brackets slot into place:

5cW8IWil.jpg

JTFAgs0l.jpg

There is very little leeway here, and everything is precisely cut to fit in perfectly. With this tour done, let’s take a look at the installation process.

Installation

Let’s begin with LGA 2011/2011-3 here since it is the easiest of the lot. Once again, I apologize for AMD customers here since (a) I don’t have any AMD CPU powered rig and (b) this block does not support AMD sockets yet.

qWiegBul.jpg

You begin by simply applying the TIM of your choice on the CPU, and then laying the waterblock on top:

NosEvXzl.jpg

Note that you can go with the ports left-right or top-down, and we will talk more about this soon. Now take the 4 LGA 2011/2011-3 studs, the 4 metal springs and the 4 metal washers and have each set be so:

BAaQDLLl.jpg

NHzchX1l.jpg

Then you simply screw the studs into the 4 cooler mounting holes in the motherboard. Go two at a time with diagonally opposite pairs and alternate between them till you run out of threading:

oIoU2udl.jpg

You will go from having some of the threading on the stud visible here:

0K41jIHl.jpg

to none at all:

mhKV9Arl.jpg

That’s it, no guess work needed anymore! I really wish all sockets would employ a pre-attached backplate to make things so easy.

Now on to LGA 115x:

JbUMjLKl.jpg

There are two ways to go about this depending on if you have the optional backplate or not. Let’s see how installation is without the backplate first.

You begin by taking the 4 screws and 4 of the plastic washers and have each set as so:

QfQwYrzl.jpg

l0vcypJl.jpg

These then go through the holes in the motherboard around the socket that all coolers use:

gcV2YUUl.jpg

Now flip over the motherboard carefully, this may not be as easy as you think so consider getting an extra pair of hands to help:

EL3gYMsl.jpg

Now place the other 4 plastic washers over these as so:

9bdlMyCl.jpg

Then screw in the LGA 115x studs onto these as much as possible:

kDojRN6l.jpg

Then you have to use the provided Hex key to help tighten down the stud/washers/screw combo further:

lhH5xV2l.jpg

No matter what you do, there will be some give here due to the 8 plastic washers being present. This, along with being able to distribute the load on a plane rather than 4 points, is why I think the optional backplate is a good idea anyway.

Once this is done, you apply TIM and place the block on top of these studs:

296dy2pl.jpg

This is not the easiest thing to do, so take your time and make sure this goes in as best as you can. It doesn’t have to be perfect since the next step does help finish up the installation.

Place the 4 metal washers on top:

nBpGseZl.jpg

Then take out the 4 knurled nuts and place the metal springs over them like so:

IseitvXl.jpg

Finish by tightening these over the studs in the same manner as before, till you run out of thread on the studs and the nuts don’t proceed further:

j4txUI4l.jpg

VXmNUNvl.jpg

If you went ahead and bought the optional backplate, then it becomes a tool-less (and a more consistent) mounting. As before, you turn the motherboard around (or at least be able to access the back through a case cutout) and line up the backplate over the 3 screws on the back of the socket:

MVs00Oml.jpg

2YXL3Jdl.jpg

Then turn the motherboard around and continue as before:

z1DFKJtl.jpg

5vL2UC1l.jpg

BnzXdu7l.jpg

AX72DKjl.jpg

rxZbZmAl.jpg

upCOmULl.jpg

yjvWmfvl.jpg

Before we finish this section, a reminder on what I mean by the CPU block orientation being normal:

j4txUI4l.jpg

and goofy:

1cUEIjzl.jpg

Watercool does not expect to see much different between either orientation type, so let’s see now how the block performs!

LIQUID FLOW RESTRICTION

Testing methodology

I used a Swiftech MCP50X pump with a FrozenQ 400mL cylindrical reservoir. The pump was powered by a direct SATA connection to an EVGA 1300G2 PSU, and was controlled by an Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT. There was an in-line flow meter previously calibrated, as well as a Dwyer 490 Series 1 wet-wet manometer to measure the pressure drop of the component under test- in this case each radiator. Every component was connected by 1/2″ x 3/4″ tubing, compression fittings and 2 T-fittings with the manometer.

49TnyeFl.jpg

As you can see, aside from the Swiftech Apogee XL, the other CPU blocks are about the same as far as liquid flow restriction goes. The Heatkiller IV Pro is slightly above this pack, but not enough to weigh much on this here. What about thermal performance?

THERMAL PERFORMANCE

The tests were done on 3 CPUs across 2 different Intel Haswell platforms:

1) LGA 1150: Intel Pentium G3258

This 2 core, 2 thread unlocked CPU has been very popular for the great performance to cost ratio it offers. Very few would actually put a waterblock on it- much less one that is more expensive than the CPU itself. But hey why not?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi
RAM: Adata XPG DDR3 1600Mhz (2x4gb)
CPU frequency: 4.7 GHz core at 1.4 Vcore

2) LGA 1150: Intel i7 4770k

This 4 core, 8 thread unlocked CPU is the current mainstream top CPU from Intel. The newer i7 4790k is based off the same platform and performs the same clock to clock, while perhaps running a bit cooler. If anything, the older 4770k would benefit more from a custom loop.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866 MHz (2x8gb)
CPU frequency: 4.7 GHz at 1.4 Vcore

3) LGA 2011-3: Intel i7 5960x

The behemoth 8 core, 16 thread unlocked CPU is the current enthusiast top CPU from Intel. Running at ~$999, it is one that benefits from a custom loop for sure.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666 MHz (4x4gb)
CPU frequency: 4.4 GHz at 1.3 Vcore

Testing methodology

Pump: Swiftech mcp35x2 set to 1.2 GPM
Controller: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT
Radiator: HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX with Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 fans at full speed
TIM: Gelid GC-Extreme

Everything required was placed inside the hotbox and the ambient temperature set to 25 ºC. TIM cure time was taken into consideration and 5 separate mounts/runs were done. For each run, a 90 minute Intel XTU stability test was performed. XTU is a stability test from HWBot that uses a custom preset of Prime 95 to ensure the load is uniform on each run. CPU core temperatures were measured using Aida64 and average core temperature was recorded at the end of each run. Loop temperatures were recorded using 2 inline and 1 stop plug type temperature sensor connected to the AQ6 and the average loop temperature was recorded at the end of each run. A delta T of CPU core and loop temperature was thus calculated for each run with an average delta T then obtained across all 5 runs. This way the cooling solution is taken out of the picture. The measurement cycle was done for both blocks in both orientations for a total of 4 cycles. For the LGA 1150 socket motherboards, I used the optional backplate because it consistently gave a better mount and TIM spread.

r6Cm8Mgl.png.jpg

Interactive G3258 results

8Ec67vXl.png.jpg

Interactive 4770k results

fXdAwPfl.png.jpg

Interactive 5960x results

Now I must say that all the blocks don’t scale equally with flow rate. So keep that in mind since these results are at a set flow rate. Note also that each review result can only be taken to fit that particular CPU being tested out and your results may well vary- especially with non soldered IHS on CPUs. With these disclaimers taken care of, we can see that the Heatkiller IV Pro has proved to be worthy of the wait. It may have taken Watercool a long time to get the block to the retail market but it does so while performing the best on both the i7 4770k and Pentium G3258 while taking 2nd place on the i7 5960x.

Conclusion

The Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper costs $86.95 in the USA and £61.99 (inc VAT) in the UK as of the date of this article, with the optional backplate coming in at $9.95 and £5.99 (inc VAT) respectively. For a full copper block, it is well priced given what the other blocks compared against go for. If you look from a performance point of view, the XSPC Raystorm and EK Supremacy MX are hard to beat but from an absolute performance point of view the Heatkiller IV Pro is the current leader. Sure, the EK Supremacy Evo still is king on the 5960x where the heat to be dissipated is highest, and perhaps the airflow in my hotbox gave the full copper top here some advantage but I go with what I am provided. Given the unique looks and the excellent build quality, I would definitely pay the money.

For those who glossed over the results, do buy the optional backplate if you are going to be using this on Intel sockets LGA 115x. I consistently got a better mount with it as opposed to the backplate-less installation, and that $10 is not going to be much considering a custom loop will cost much, much more.

dFkjn6bl.jpg

Man of Honour
Nice review as usual. I do like the easy mounting setup. Makes things very simple to get a consistant fitting. That backplate should come with it in my opinion although I suppose it's a improvement that the block fit's more than a single socket unlike the v3.0. Dissapointing that it's only Intel or AMD specific too. EK blocks fit all sockets and includes the backplates for a decent price (I think EK has a better build quality too) so why not Watercool?

Associate
OP
Yeah man, I was under the impression that this would be compatible with all the sockets out of the box. For AMD, the only thing different would be the mounting bracket and possibly the the mounting hardware also.

Associate
Another great review.

It does seem to be let down slightly by the machining marks, but that's largely an aesthetic thing. Shame that they couldn't polish the base, but they could polish the backplate :confused:

Any plans to review the Basic version? I did manage to find out the difference, which is that it has less fins (49 compared to 78). Also the baseplate is plain copper compared to nickel plated (when compared to most of the Pro range). I like the look of the plain copper.

Associate
OP
The Basic version is based off the HK 3.0 as far as internals go, aside from the top being different and allowing for larger fittings to be used now. I had a hard time getting hold of this one itself so I don't know if I can get a basic version as well. I will ask and see.

Yeah, it looks like all the nickel plated versions got a nice polish also everywhere.

What baseplate are you referring to?

Associate
I was referring to the cold plate (still learning some of the terminology).

Looking back at your pics, there is a distinct square on the cold plate. Is this residue from the protective film?

Associate
OP
Yeah, it's from the sticker but not residue. It is the less oxidized copper relative to the uncovered part outside despite the sealing. Most of the Pro series has a copper cold plate as far as I can see.

Associate
Ah :)

I thought it was the other way round (looking at their own site), in that the 2 Basic ones and the Pure Copper Pro have a bare copper cold plate, yet the rest of the Pro range have a nickel plated copper cold plate.

Soldato
using the 3.0 version here, looks great performs great very happy with it can imagine a new version would be even better

+1, just upgraded to a 4930K using R3.0 which l got for the 4820K so my son will get a x79 build with my 4820K so l'll get a Pro version later this month.

Will do a quick review and see how they compare.

Associate
OP
Looks like there are some limited edition versions coming out without the stainless steel parts in the front for example.

Back
Top Bottom