4k 60Hz with onboard HD4600 graphics???

Associate
I'm building a new rig for my sister to edit photos and do general work with. She loves my 4k monitor and I've selected the Dell P2415Q for her. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-079-DE&groupid=17&catid=1895

She tested Photoshop on my computer with 4k on just the HD4600 and it seemed to work fine for her. I'm hoping to get away with not buying a graphics card but the only motherboards I've found that support 3840x2160 at 60Hz over Displayport are over £100... Are there any other options? I think I literally only need a displayport output capable of 60Hz. I don't fancy spending £100+ on a graphics card or an extra ~£60 on a motherboard to just get 60Hz.

Cheers,
Fenza

Soldato
I think it's worth noting that with a "decent" graphics card, she will get GPU acceleration in photoshop if that's what she's using which might be worth spending a little extra on. It certainly makes a huge difference to photoshop work.

That being said, you certainly don't need to spend £100+ to run a UHD display at 60hz. It just needs to have a display port 1.2+ output.

Something like this would be sufficient;
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-345-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1984

If you don't mind going to eBay you can pick up nVidia quadro NVS 310 cards for sub £20, and they have 2 display port 1.2s on them. I picked one up a few months back for just over a tenner, and it was brand new.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your reaponse spoffle! I don't think my sister is a heavy user of Photoshop, her laptop has a GT740M and my computer even with HD4600 was faster in all areas she was concerned with.

What worries me I've read that 4k monitors can use over 1GB of VRAM in just normal use so I was looking at graphics cards with 2GB of ram. Intel HD4600 can use up to 1.7GB of system ram so that doesn't worry me.

I was kind of hoping that there would be some way to add in a card with a Displayport output that uses the onboard graphics. Any ideas would be great!

Soldato
No problem. :)

I would be very surprised if a UHD monitor would use over 1GB of RAM in normal use. I've got 3x 2560x1440 displays connected up to my PC at the moment, and my idle VRAM usage is pretty low at about 400MB dedicated, and about 100MB being used currently. A single UHD monitor would be even less.

So I wouldn't worry about a 1GB card not being enough really. Also a card that passes through the onboard GPU's output doesn't exist as far as I am aware.

Back
Top Bottom