Big bill

Soldato
Gearbox oil can be really expensive. I rung around a few places when I got mine done and the cheapest quote I got was £450. Could probably have got it done for a lot less with slightly different oil which would probably have been fine but I wasn't willing to take the risk.

Soldato
OP
I did a lot of reading on Fordtalk and other forums to see what is involved - consensus of opinion is it's not a undo gearbox sump nut -drain -take off filter and fill -- seems it might be needed to be plugged into diagnostics as well.

If it had been easy it would have been over my inspection pit and done it myself

Anyway better to spend a bit now on routine maintenance than risk one of these gearbox's packing up.

I have the yearly service coming up in a few months so thought I would also split bill up a bit.

dave

Can't type for toffee
Don
If you can get the ~6 litres of oil that the Powershift gearbox needs for £30 then please do share a link ;) Because the cheapest I've seen it is about £13 p/l (think that was at OpieOils.co.uk).

6 litres for the gearbox?
Like I said above thougth it was the engine oil from that volume :p

Not up on fords or nowt but I'd have a look on the owners clubs and the likes to see if thers any non ford oil that is just as good maybe?

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the confusion for some posters - should have explained earlier that this isn't a yearly oil change- Anyone with a Powershift or DSG box will have understood but as said above the oil change is every three years or I think 40k miles - fortunately. :(

Soldato
Why are people complaining? Don't like it? Don't buy a ****ing automatic.

Do people seriously not look at the maintenance costs of a vehicle before buying it? It's like speccing an unusual tyre size and then being mad when you need new rubber, look into it first.

Soldato
OP
Why are people complaining? Don't like it? Don't buy a ****ing automatic.

Do people seriously not look at the maintenance costs of a vehicle before buying it? It's like speccing an unusual tyre size and then being mad when you need new rubber, look into it first.

I am not complaining - I am only stating a fact - Ford do not list gearbox oil as a set service - it's up to the owner and I rang dealer and asked for it as I knew it was a major service that needs doing.:rolleyes:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom