Spec me some headphones/headset

Associate
Once again I'm venturing into something I know very little about, and thats audio.

My birthday is on monday and my girlfriend doesn't know what to get me.
I nor her know nothing about headphones but I need a new headset for my computer. Preferably wireless. I'll mostly be using it for gaming.

Budget is around 150-200

I have no idea about virtual/real surround sound and which one is better.
I have no idea about sound cards/amps

If you could teach me a lesson while you give me your recommendations that would be great thanks ha

Associate
Audio Technica do some pretty good gear. I haven't had first hand experience with their gaming headsets but they normal stereo headphones are some of the best out there. I've got a pair of ATHM40X (~£70) and they are incredible, especially for the price. My mate has a 200 quid pair for production and they are absolutely amazing. Have a look at some reviews, I doubt they would let you down.

Soldato
AKG K612 pro & Modmic bundle plus a Creative Sound Blaster Z (OEM) sound card to drive it.

Total cost: £165

The AKG K702 suggested above is an even better headphone but the total cost would be £230

Associate
OP
So by the looks of things there is no point buying a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headset

are there no good wireless headphones available? or are they crap/not worth the price

Soldato
So you get a good, £150 headphone and then add a wireless transmitter, rechargable batteries, smart charging system and receiver, without degrading the sound, while maintaining a strong signal without drop outs and you might get a decent one for £300.

A headset is even worse as you have to factor in a microphone, another transmitter and another receiver plus stronger batteries.

There are plenty of cheaper options around but the vast majority of R&D costs will have gone on the wireless side of things, sound quality will be well down the pecking order.

Seems a bit extreme to go through all of that just to remove the very slight inconvenience of a cable.

Associate
OP
AKG K612 pro & Modmic bundle plus a Creative Sound Blaster Z (OEM) sound card to drive it.

Total cost: £165

The AKG K702 suggested above is an even better headphone but the total cost would be £230

Just bought the K702 with the soundcard you suggested.

Soldato
I use the K702 for all of my gaming and used the SB Z very happily until I went all in and got the Asus Xonar STX.

Did you get the K702 & Modmic bundle? Just checking because the K702 on it's own doesn't have a microphone.

Associate
OP
I use the K702 for all of my gaming and used the SB Z very happily until I went all in and got the Asus Xonar STX.

Did you get the K702 & Modmic bundle? Just checking because the K702 on it's own doesn't have a microphone.

Yes, I got the modmic as well.

What is the difference between the OEM soundcard and the standard one by the way?

Soldato
The standard one comes with a plastic shroud and a beam-forming mic.

The plastic shroud doesn't do a lot except make it look a bit prettier and you've bought a much better mic, so the beam-forming one is redundant.

Caporegime
Can't seem to find that deal or what price it will be

daily deals page (under lightning deals)

and you won't know what price it will be until 6.15pm

Upcoming Deal
AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones
Starts for Prime members at 6:15 PM Prime Early Access Deal

if you don't have prime it will start at 6.45pm i believe by which time it may of sold out.

Back
Top Bottom