• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Oculus Employees: "Preemption for context switches is best on AMD, Nvidia possibly catastrophic"

Soldato
Now as Microprocessor analyst, David Kanter, said, some Oculus employees told him that the best Preemption support for context switches was with AMD by far, Intel was pretty good and NVIDIA was possibly catastrophic (1:21:00 in the video below).

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/oculus-employees-preemption-for-context-switches-is-best-on-amd-nvidia-possibly-catastrophic/

An interesting interview shedding more light into DX12 'pre-emption' for context switching of shaders. Slow context switching leads to poor latency which is bad for VR.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its not something that has been a big focus until very recently - nVidia managed to get pre-emption working for compute stuff in general (on hardware that theoretically shouldn't support it at all) but last I heard they hadn't addressed the situation with dynamic parallelism (which is relevant to async) but I wouldn't count them out when it actually comes to it being needed. (EDIT: Its also currently only enabled for debugging use AFAIK so it won't perform well in gaming use as things stand).

As is often the case AMD has been focusing on forward thinking and how things "should" be done and nVidia concentrating on the actual here and now requirements - which probably gives AMD a little head start with DX12 but they'll probably be focusing on "DX13" at the expense of DX12 when DX12 is properly a thing :S

EDIT: End of the day Maxwell is going to be a liability when it comes to DX12, its been savaged to be very good at DX11 and that is it but anyone who really cares about DX12 performance won't want to be on any of the current GPUs if developers actually make proper use of what DX12 can bring to the table (i.e. AMD supported tessellation when nVidia didn't at all and we all know what happened there).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good that AMD have the ability to run this "as is" and looks like Nvidia users will probably need to upgrade to Pascal to get the best results. More Nvidia sales and AMD users can carry on with their older hardware. Good find and I skipped most but watched from the 1 hour mark and found it interesting thanks :)

Soldato
Good that AMD have the ability to run this "as is" and looks like Nvidia users will probably need to upgrade to Pascal to get the best results. More Nvidia sales and AMD users can carry on with their older hardware. Good find and I skipped most but watched from the 1 hour mark and found it interesting thanks :)

I love how you try and turn this into a positive thing for NVIDIA. "More sales for NVIDIA" - yeh clearly they deserve it.

All those 980TI owners who'll be at a disadvantage in DX12 games will surely be over the moon and will be eager to spend another £500 for NVIDIA's next GPU.

Caporegime
I love how you try and turn this into a positive thing for NVIDIA. "More sales for NVIDIA" - yeh clearly they deserve it.

All those 980TI owners who'll be at a disadvantage in DX12 games will surely be over the moon and will be eager to spend another £500 for NVIDIA's next GPU.

Really? You picked that from my post? Grow up!

Soldato

Actually 980Ti seem to quite well on dx12, but for the lesser Maxwell that were mid-range cards but got pimped up and sold as high-end, well they don't seem to be coping too well comparing to their direct competition cards.

So basically anyone that must buy Nvidia, they should most definitely save up and get the 980Ti (considering it is actually a decent bang for bucks card)...and if they really can't push their budget that high, then they should go for a 390/390x, rather than going 970/980...

Soldato
By the time vr is mainstream and worth it we will all be 5 years older, I doubt the preemption context switching will be a problem by that time.

Associate
Oculus are quite open, they will probably tell us how they intend to deal with the situation like will they disable the feature or not, I heard it was beneficial to one of their algorithms 'async timewarp'

Associate
Keep reading about AMD being great for DX12 and VR. It's all in the future, all in promises and maybes.

It is important to think about the future, I get it, but I only care about today.
Even fury barely exist.

When VR comes out and a decent game is programmed for it, then maybe those words will be worth something.

Soldato
OP
If what the Occulus guys say is true then Maxwell cards may start struggling when more games start using Async algorithms. It could result in poor performance in a years time so is it really a wise investment when spending £500+ now? Could you potentially lose a lot of resale value in just a year?

IF Nvidia do get people to upgrade due to the current cards not supporting DX12 fully, how many would go back to a company which shafted them with their last cards?

Questions are being raised but some diehard Nvidia guys can still put a positive spin on it.

Associate
If what the Occulus guys say is true then Maxwell cards may start struggling when more games start using Async algorithms. It could result in poor performance in a years time so is it really a wise investment when spending £500+ now? Could you potentially lose a lot of resale value in just a year?

IF Nvidia do get people to upgrade due to the current cards not supporting DX12 fully, how many would go back to a company which shafted them with their last cards?

Questions are being raised but some diehard Nvidia guys can still put a positive spin on it.

I like to think I'm pretty open about things, but I still can't fault Nvidia.

Is there a triple A DX12 game (by that I mean something where the extra performance matters) available or even announced?

Soldato
I'm not interested in Oculus as it makes me feel really ill when using it but it's good to see that they are actually addressing both sides. I don't see VR working properly for a good few years yet a bit like DX12.

Back
Top Bottom