• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Fluid Motion "Enable 60fps Movies"

Soldato
Since seeing a video on Youtube about enabling 60fps for movies I haven't stopped using this.. Am completely blown away just how good this makes movies look so I would welcome anyone to test this.

First all you need to enable AMD Fluid Motion in AMD Video Setting
driver.jpg

Then you want to use a compatible Video Player and install the Plugin, the reason for this is I just recently found out. AMD Fluid Motion wont by default higher the Frame rate it just smooths out the current FPS and works very well just not has good 60fps smooth :D

Am using Media Player Classic then you want plugin from here called Bluesky Frame Rate Converter. This will work with MPC and PotPlayer am not sure about others, so long has the plugin loads I dont see why other players wont work.

http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/BlueskyFRC.html

AMD Fluid Motion disabled - 23fps
stock.jpg

AMD Fluid Motion enabled with BlueSky disabled - 23fps with motion judder removed.
AMD_Fluid_enabled.jpg

AMD Fluid Motion enabled with BlueSky Enabled
Settings
settings.jpg

About AFM Mode
Mode 0: Default setting and behavior depends on the GPU/APU
Mode 1: Created 2 original frames and 3 interpolate frames when converted 24p to 60p
Mode 2: Created 1 original frame and 4 interpolate frames when converted 24p to 60p

Result - Honestly I am blown away! Everything just seems so much clear defo in fast moving scenes etc its Fuild! :D Enjoy
60fps.jpg

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Can this be done in vlc?

I know it can be in MPC-HC, but for some reason movies look better for me in VLC, can't put my finger on it. Something to do with filters used perhaps. That said VLC does use a lot more cpu power to process I found when watching 4K content.

Soldato
OP
This has been built into TV's for many years and makes movies look really weird, giving them a "soap opera" effect.

People keep trying to get rid of the daft feature on "modern" TV's:
http://hometheaterreview.com/what-is-soap-opera-effect-and-how-to-make-it-go-away/

This isn't the same thing mate.. AMD Fluid Motion alone is what TV have. With Fluid Motion + The plugin its converting the movie into 60fps...

Honestly I have tested this with my 400hz TV AMD Fluid Motion alone and with this 60fps its in a league of its own.

Associate
This isn't the same thing mate.. AMD Fluid Motion alone is what TV have. With Fluid Motion + The plugin its converting the movie into 60fps...

Honestly I have tested this with my 400hz TV AMD Fluid Motion alone and with this 60fps its in a league of its own.

It's exactly the same thing (well depending on the quality of your TV, a £300 Argos special may be somewhat lacking), frame interpolation and/or blending, makes everything feel like an episode of Eastenders.

If you really care about the quality of your video playback, I would suggest investigating MadVR http://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR and ReClock http://www.videohelp.com/software/ReClock-Directshow-Filter

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's completely identical.

I've just tested it, zero difference compared to the naff effects TV's apply to sub 60-fps content to make it "smooth".

Caporegime
This isn't actually a good thing, if it's better for you then that's your own opinion and all that matters but anyone serious about movie viewing wouldn't use this for the reasons stated above. Soap opera effect is a common thing I see mentioned over on avforums.

Associate
This isn't actually a good thing, if it's better for you then that's your own opinion and all that matters but anyone serious about movie viewing wouldn't use this for the reasons stated above. Soap opera effect is a common thing I see mentioned over on avforums.

Aye. I have a higher end Sony TV (X85C) with all their advanced picture processing crap. First thing I did was turn it all off apart from black frame insertion.

Caporegime

Yep, no way I would add frames to movies that weren't there in the first place.

And to be honest The Hobbit at 48fps was shocking anyway, and that was actually filmed at the higher frame rate.

Give me cinematic 24fps any day of the week for movies.

Soldato
If you want to use frame interpolation, then use smooth video project and make sure your monitor is some multiple of 24 for its refresh rate. what people call the soap opera effect is often just the bad interpolation from 24 fps to some odd multiple of 24, such as 24 - 60, 24 - 200, 24 - 400 etc.

Better to interpolate the video in multiples of its frame rate.

The only reason movies are still shot in 24fps is due to legacy reasons and file size. 24fps is just the lower limit at which motion can be observed without being too jumpy. It also helped save on the amount of film required and reduced the spool speed of the projectors, helping to reduce the chances of projectors and cameras from having a catastrophic jam.

I always use smooth video project and it is very noticable the difference between 60 and 72 fps conversion, you don't get any strange or sped up looking motion. and 24 - 144 fps looks amazing.

Back
Top Bottom