• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Xeon E5-2670 v1 Flood ...

Associate
Apparently there's a Xeon flood going on as we speak (you'll be wanting the SR0KX stepping - SR0H8 is C1 stepping. VT-x is supported but VT-d is broken in C1 SR0KX is the C2 stepping with the VT-d fix (important for virtualization pass-through... eg: GPU's)). Long thread on it, and building systems, here.

It seems nobody is quite sure why the E5-2670s(2.6GHz, 8-core/16-thread equivalent to an AMD FX-8350) are appearing. Could be a pretty cheap way to build a dual CPU system(32GB of Hynix ECC DDR3-1600 RAM can be bought for £56).

Just thought this may interest somebody ... :)

Soldato
Interesting, As I already own an i5 should I stick with it? Not sure how helpful the 8core 16threads are gonna be over my quadcore, if anything.

oh just seen it's equivalent to an 8350.. Maybe I'll stay.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You'd might as well just buy an FX8350 it'll a damn site cheaper overall, you'll struggle to find software using 8 cores let alone 16 of them.

Interesting information for those wanting to build a server system though.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'd might as well just buy an FX8350 it'll a damn site cheaper overall, you'll struggle to find software using 8 cores let alone 16 of them.
To be honest if you're looking at a dual cpu system then you likely have the need for the extra cores. I know plenty of my 'work programs' can make use of up to 32 threads.

Soldato
Had no major need for a new CPU as mine is OK. but was thinking about future use, certainly won't need a dual cpu board as I don't do anything server related, was just a thought :)

Associate
OP
For what it's worth ... back of a fag packet system costing assuming a semi-typical computer nerd -

ASUS Z9PA-D8 £204+delivery (from Europe - ATX form factor)
2xE5-2670 £112 delivered

Nerd sells current CPU for £120(?)
Nerd sells current motherboard for £80(?)

Assuming nerd has DDR3 RAM, suitable power supply and case - *rough* net cost of £116 for dual CPU machine.

Obviously it could cost more or less depending on the motherboard, what parts are transferable, and your general requirements.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He means the strap setting that existed on X79 allowing you to overclock the BCLK, I don't think that it will be present on server motherboards.

Associate
OP
Oh, right - not my area, the last time I had any interest in overclocking was around 1998/9 with a 350MHz Pentium II.

I just posted to let people know these processors are available, beyond generalities people will basically have to do their own research.

Soldato
Oh, right - not my area, the last time I had any interest in overclocking was around 1998/9 with a 350MHz Pentium II.

I just posted to let people know these processors are available, beyond generalities people will basically have to do their own research.
i have bought 3 to test overclocking capability on x79 Rampage VI formula. I'm hoping to lock all core turbo speed of 30x or 31x with 125 strap+ a bit of extra base clock. :D

Soldato
Just put one of these in a system I'm going to use for VM / workstation and light gaming use.

2670_Cine.jpg

Soldato
£80 for the chip from a friend. I think he paid a similar amount of eBay. I got the board from mmj_uk above for £50 in the MM. Was initially going to use a 3930k but as I wasn't going to overclock that, I might stick with this setup for a while. It doesnt seem to be bottlenecking my 980Ti :)

Associate
I'm putting together a rig with one of these as well.

They're flooding the market due to Amazon and Facebook recently offloading them (so I hear) to make room for new stuff. :)

Overclocking doesn't work. We've got four between us on the team and none of them can boot on the 125 strap. 107 MHz is the highest we've had so far.

Back
Top Bottom