• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte 980Ti extreme and LED control

Associate
Hi
I have bought two Gigabyte Extreme 980Ti. One purchased earlier (Windforce) did not have the LED control enabled in the OC GURU software. I did not worry about it too much but when I purchased the second one for the SLI set up (Waterforce) I noticed that it is doing the "rainbow" from the moment I switched it on.
I would like both of them to be working in the same way without the need for additional software (the one Gigabyte offers is cutter crap).
Even with the software installed the card is switching the colours rapidly rather than displaying smooth transition.
Please see video attached.

I have been told it is to do with BIOS? I am dealing with Gigabyte support who are rather slow in their answers and I am not getting anywhere closer to the resolution :(

Does anyone know what to do?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1A3ovW-CcfhZ3FLbHVjajFiNTQ

Hi razor007,

The color switching with that speed is the default profile for the LED controller on the card.
I understand you don't like our software, but you can install it once, modify and save LED profile to the card and uninstall the software after that.

Try that and let us know how it went.

Hi razor007,

The color switching with that speed is the default profile for the LED controller on the card.
I understand you don't like our software, but you can install it once, modify and save LED profile to the card and uninstall the software after that.

Try that and let us know how it went.

This^

I have the Gigabyte Xterme GTX970 While I'm not a huge fan of guru software either just like said above set the colour you want and uninstall the software. Works fine that way. I wanted white led and it stays white. You might when installing new drivers need to go into GeForce Experience to set the level of brightness.

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you for you answers.
I did install the software to be able to change the colour but when I select the rainbow effect, the change if colour is rapid. Just like seen at the movie. The top card works perfectly fine but I cannot get the bottom one to act in the same way with smooth and slow colour transition. There was no option to adjust the speed in the software. Also once I have removed or closed the software it went back to solid red/orange.

Would you be able to give me more guidance?
I downloaded recent oc guru 1.98 from the website. The one supplied with the card did not have the ked control option at as ll.
It is really destroying my overall satisfaction and I am committed to make it work.

Got two Asus 4k monitors connected.
Swapping cards makes no difference. One is doing the "rainbow" without the software installed, the other does not work with or without really. The rainbow effect is as displayed on the video, rapid change of different colours.

I had only windforce in the slot at first and couldn't get it to work. Then I pulled that one out and waterforce worked immediately without a need to do anything.

Can the on-board LED be faulty?

I'd really appreciate that.
I have been exchanging e-mails with Gigabyte esupport but getting no luck.

Thanks for your information. Because every product has different design and specification, we can help to confirm if this situation can be improved by flash firmware or BIOS. We will update this mail as soon as possible when result comes out.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

On that they have closed the ticket without finding solution to the issue really. I must say I am a bit disappointed with how long it took them to answer the tickets and the conclusion they got to.

I don't know where to go apart from the people who own the card or have interacted with it, hence I posted here :)
Please help

I'd really appreciate that.
I have been exchanging e-mails with Gigabyte esupport but getting no luck.

On that they have closed the ticket without finding solution to the issue really. I must say I am a bit disappointed with how long it took them to answer the tickets and the conclusion they got to.

I don't know where to go apart from the people who own the card or have interacted with it, hence I posted here :)
Please help

I got feedback from out engineers as well, I've been told they contacted you through our RMA service.

Hi
Again thank you for the response. I have not received any other communication from Gigabyte. status of the ticket is forwarded.
I have started an RMA process with the retailer but I was hoping that I will be able to get some feedback first on the issue as the retailer hasn't got a clue on what I am on about to be fair, but are helpful and willing to take a look. Thing is I don't want to be sending out a card as apart from the LED issue (which is a frustrating thing for me) the card works great.
This is why I reached out to Gigabyte Esupport hopping to get some advise and answers but unfortunately this was not the case and I don't know what to do.

Again thank you very much for your time. Look forward to hear from you soon.

Last edited:
Hi
Again thank you for the response. I have not received any other communication from Gigabyte. status of the ticket is forwarded.
I have started an RMA process with the retailer but I was hoping that I will be able to get some feedback first on the issue as the retailer hasn't got a clue on what I am on about to be fair, but are helpful and willing to take a look. Thing is I don't want to be sending out a card as apart from the LED issue (which is a frustrating thing for me) the card works great.
This is why I reached out to Gigabyte Esupport hopping to get some advise and answers but unfortunately this was not the case and I don't know what to do.

Again thank you very much for your time. Look forward to hear from you soon.

Please send me a message so we can do this over email, it should be faster and I can try to track you case with RMA.

i came across a youtube video explaining this and it is something to do with the bios

but you need the oc guru software from gigabyte and thn you can change both and also alter the effect but it has to be done a certain way .

basically you need to go into the nvidea control panel then turn off sli and then use the guru software to change the led on the first card and click apply . Then go back into the nvidea control panel and turn on sli then open guru software and at the top click vga and select vga 2 . then go to the colours and change to a random one then change to the one you want then click apply .

both cards should now have the same colours and effects you wanted

you can then just uninstall the software

i think this is what you mean you want to do , the video is here hope it helps mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrKx4DhhjQ

Last edited:
I owe you an update.
In the end, thanks to our Gigabyte rep from the forum (would not get anywhere without you, thank you) I manged to get an authorisation to RMA the card. Taiwan HQ agreed to replace the card to a model that works.
However when I visited the Servicing centre in Milton Keyes, both engineers struggled to find a model that actually worked the way I described.
all of them had a fixed colour (different depending on the motherboard it was installed on) and regardless on various firmware updates that were done at a time - we failed to copy the effect from the hybrid model.
The Extreme version of GTX 970 seemed to work exactly as I wanted but the guys could not find out where the problem was.
since I only had two hours available, we agreed on swapping the Windforce model for another hybrid which seems to work without an issue.

The downside of the swap was lower ASIC score on the new card but both card overclock same way with same voltage and same temps therefore i fail to notice whether the ASIC quality does correspond with overclocking ability here.

Gigabyte advertise the series as:

"GPU Gauntlet™ Sorting

Forged with only the top-notch GPU, the Gigabyte XTREME GAMING graphics cards guarantee the higher overclocking capability in terms of excellent power switching, ensuring the highest performance without compromising system reliability."

Which to me, this would be represented in higher ASIC scores, but is not in my case.
I asked the question to find out what they meant with this statement above and only got a message that they forwarded my e-mail to Taiwan. I may chase it up to get to the root of an issue.

I think I am now on their list of "biggest pain in the ass customers" :)

Overall I received good support and will stick with the brand. there are only few little things to polish up :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom