*** New King of RGB? ***

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
MSI have announced the launch of a new, more affordable RGB equipped X99 Motherboard and, personally, I think they've nailed it!

MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon Intel (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard @ £274.99 inc VAT

MB31AMS_141250_800x800.jpg

MB31AMS_141251_800x800.jpg

MB31AMS_141253_800x800.jpg

Equipped with numerous colour pattern options and control for external 4 pin RGB strips too.

Stock will be here soon...
Pre-Order Now

Soldato
Does this have the OC Socket? If does, that matter? Also, it may just be coincidence, but every image I'm seeing of this board (including what Google can show me) has the dragon logo bit in red. I presume that can actually be changed along with the other lighting, it's not a fixed red zone is it??

Edi: Actually just seen the MSI promo video and it shows the dragon logo in different colours. I'm curious about the OC socket though, I'd read this was a great feature of the Asus and some other boards.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks really nice, not a fan of the illuminated 'GAMING PRO' over the IO, but everything else spot on.

Out of the Strix x99 and this MSi, which will be in stock sooner? Was going to preorder the Strix then saw this.

Soldato
As much as I love the look, I am more concerned with function/features vs the Strix. This doesn't have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, unlike the Strix, and I'm a bit unclear what the purpose of the boost button is exactly. Who opens their case to push this?? I'd also like to know which will OC better out of the two boards? It seems they are virtually the same price based on a pre-order price I've seen elsewhere for the Strix.

Associate
I've never owned a MSi board before, but maybe the 'boost button' is its automated overclock function, not much interest from me personally.

The Strix only has 1 reinforced PCI-E 16x slots, whilst the MSi has all reinforced.

Asus Aura (plus RGB LED header) on the Strix looks interesting, but the MSi Gaming Pro carbon with no wifi and Bluetooth, might not support the MSi lighting app like the Godlike.

Can you see anything else? please post any more differences you can spot.

For me which every comes in stock should will get my pick, my 5820k rig has been down for 1 month now...

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't want to be opening my case to push a button regularly! Don't understand that at all! Asus boards generally seem better for OC'ing based on what I've read, and better regarded for quality, so I would lean towards the Strix personally, especially as it is virtually the same price and with extra functionality. I can see the reinforced slots on the MSI being useful if you would be going SLI though, as the newer cards look quite beefy, but I doubt it would be an issue really.

It's a good point about the Mystic Light app though. The board definitely has the same lighting functionality with the option to add 50/50 LED strips (like the Asus), but if it doesn't have Wi-Fi, how would it be able to use the app? Perhaps it's just software in the case of this board, so no different from the Asus Aura in that respect?

FYI BornEvil, I am selling a brand new Asus X99 Sabertooth in the MM if of interest. Oh, actually looking at your post count I don't know if you have access to MM yet?

Associate
Yeah, I have access to MM, my 1st OcUK trust was back in 2003! :)

I did see your Sabretooth, and would have snapped it up 1 month ago. But these new RGB boards are so pretty and bling bling. :D

Soldato
They are nice I agree, although I don't know how much of the RGB you will see once all components are installed.

Actually, looking at the MSI site, it appears the 'button' is actually a 'dial' that you turn. So I am guessing you turn it to the setting you want and just leave it? That makes more sense anyway. I would really like to know how this compares to the Asus boards though, with the OC Socket functionality (which I'm sure I've read MSI don't have).

Associate
I had a Asrock mATX (non-OC socket) and a Asus X99a briefly. The same air cooled 5820k clocked 4.5 on both boards, with a difference of ~0.01 V required, very minimal difference.

I've been a Asus user for 6 years now (and gigabyte the previous 10). I prefer my own tried and tested but learning towards the MSi this time. Always like their GPUs and the Matt PCBs are very high quality.

The Gaming Carbon, does look very clean, whilst the Strix looks very cluttered with loads of capacitors, clokes and board makings.

I'm not normally into the look of my PC, but I am very keen on the Evolv Tamper glass. So got to look nice this time round for me.

Soldato
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay......

Seriously, this looks as gay as a slumber party with Neil Parick Harris, David Hyde Pierce, Ricky Martin, Ian McKellan, Ellen Degeneres, Alan Cumming, Zachary Quinto, Hulk Hogan and the entire cast of Glee....

....and I really want one, too!! :D

Back
Top Bottom