• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070: Wake from sleep = black screen, reboot = black screen (no bios)

jb7

jb7

Associate
Hi

Experiencing an issue with my new 1070 (previously I had 970 SLI)

I have uninstalled previous drivers using DDU. Installed the new drivers using Geforce experience.
However this has happened multiple times now:

Whenever I put the computer to sleep, and wake it up, I have a black screen. I can hear sounds. But can't see anything

Reboot. Still a black screen. I can hear sounds, but I didn't even see the bios option.

The only way to get it to boot 'normally' is to turn off the psu, unplug everything, then plug the cord back in, and turn on.

Then it will work fine again, until I put the computer to sleep, and the cycle above starts again. It's like it 'forgets' the driver? PCIE GPU is my default within the bios

I need to put my computer to sleep so "don't put it to sleep" isn't an option - as it shouldn't be on an expensive piece of hardware. My old 970's did not have this issue.

The card is connected via displayport to a 4k monitor. No other monitors plugged in

Thanks

Last edited:

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
Check bois is latest on motherboard. If it is you need to try gpu in another rig. Also make sure Intel graphics is disabled in bois.

Will double check these. Also I previously had display fusion installed using a multi monitor configuration. I just uninstalled this via steam prior to installing the 1070. Could some lingering registry values from that be causing this?

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
All up to date and iGPU disabled. Now I get a black screen regardless of what i do, unplugging the power cable doesn't 'fix' it anymore

Soldato
Can't help with why it happens or pointing you to a hard fix but is plugging in your second screen an option?

If yes then switching monitors via win+p wakes the screens back up.

Had the same kind of problem using a previous 970 and that was the only way to wake it up from a black screen.

Edit-just noticed you have an Asus mb, disable(not uninstal!) igp in device manager if using W10.

Z77 Sabertooth here and the igp is a nightmare with W10 unless I disable it.

Last edited:

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
Can't help with why it happens or pointing you to a hard fix but is plugging in your second screen an option?

If yes then switching monitors via win+p wakes the screens back up.

Had the same kind of problem using a previous 970 and that was the only way to wake it up from a black screen.

Edit-just noticed you have an Asus mb, disable(not uninstal!) igp in device manager if using W10.

Z77 Sabertooth here and the igp is a nightmare with W10 unless I disable it.

Plugged my tv in via HDMI. Getting a black screen on that too, windows key+p doesn't (or windows key+p twice/three times to switch between the various options) doesn't seem to work unfortunately :(

Soldato
It was a long shot, but you pressed enter to actually change outputs and disabled the igp in device manager?

If you did at least it will have ruled out those options for frustrating troubleshooting.

Hope you get to the root of it.:)

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
It was a long shot, but you pressed enter to actually change outputs and disabled the igp in device manager?

If you did at least it will have ruled out those options for frustrating troubleshooting.

Hope you get to the root of it.:)

Thanks. Wouldn't device manager suggest it was a windows problem though? I can't even see the bios with the 1070 connected, which is independent of windows, which suggests it isn't windows related?

It's very strange

Last edited:
Soldato
No it wouldn't tell you there is a problem.

I'm away from my desktop but here's what I'm talking about with an example pic:

YgaOUW4.jpg

Disable the Intel HD graphics in order to rule out a possible conflict that windows could be switching to the igp upon wake up/boot.

If you simply uninstall the Intel driver and not disable it, upon reboot, it will force re-install hence disabling it switches it off permanently-or until you update to a newer W10 build.

(obviously if that isn't the cause, re enable it after testing in case it causes other problems you never had)

Could be of use to you NZXT30 too.

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
No it wouldn't tell you there is a problem.

I'm away from my desktop but here's what I'm talking about with an example pic:

YgaOUW4.jpg

Disable the Intel HD graphics in order to rule out a possible conflict that windows could be switching to the igp upon wake up/boot.

If you simply uninstall the Intel driver and not disable it, upon reboot, it will force re-install hence disabling it switches it off permanently-or until you update to a newer W10 build.

(obviously if that isn't the cause, re enable it after testing in case it causes other problems you never had)

Could be of use to you NZXT30 too.

Cheers will try that. What I was doing in the meantime, was setting the BIOS to iGPU, installing the 1070, and seeing whether windows can see the GPU. Cable is connected to iGPU (connecting to 1070 = black screen)

It sees the 1070, but I get this:

lMWeSoE.png

Reinstalling the Nvidia driver doesn't change the status in device manager

I'll try what you suggested now

Thanks

Edit: Trouble I have is, I can't disable your setting. As soon as i connect the cable to the 1070, I get a black screen, so can't access device manager

Last edited:
Permabanned
So you've connected your monitor to the iGPU went into the bios disabled the iGPU, Shut down the system, Connected monitor to the 1070 and you get a black screen?

Are you sure you've connected the power cables properly?

Associate
I can't even see the bios with the 1070 connected, which is independent of windows, which suggests it isn't windows related?
I think you're found the root of the problem there. I thought all modern Intel systems automatically disable the iGPU when there is a graphics card installed do they not? That's the case with mine anyway - there is no option to disable the iGPU and I've never seen anything other than the Nvidia graphics card in device manager.

If you can't get any display from the 1070 in the bios then it must be a problem with the GPU or motherboard, or a bios update needed. Make sure that the system is only connected to one monitor using one cable, because it could try to display only on one output (e.g. DVI instead of DisplayPort).

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
So you've connected your monitor to the iGPU went into the bios disabled the iGPU, Shut down the system, Connected monitor to the 1070 and you get a black screen?

Are you sure you've connected the power cables properly?

Yes. Especially since it's display port and it 'clicks' when you've inserted it. I've tried all 3 display ports on the graphics card. Don't get a picture.

If I try the onboard igpu display port, just once, I always get a picture

jb7

jb7

Associate
OP
I think you're found the root of the problem there. I thought all modern Intel systems automatically disable the iGPU when there is a graphics card installed do they not? That's the case with mine anyway - there is no option to disable the iGPU and I've never seen anything other than the Nvidia graphics card in device manager.

If you can't get any display from the 1070 in the bios then it must be a problem with the GPU or motherboard, or a bios update needed. Make sure that the system is only connected to one monitor using one cable, because it could try to display only on one output (e.g. DVI instead of DisplayPort).

There are no other monitors connected. I'm on the latest bios for my motherboard (asus z87 deluxe - bios 2103).

My 970's in sli always worked fine with no issues

Associate
I should have probably said a compatibility problem between the motherboard and the GPU, not just the motherboard itself. But there shouldn't be a problem like that especially if other people are using the same motherboard and GPU without problems.

Do you have another PC available so you could check if the GPU works there, just to check if it's a faulty GPU?

Back
Top Bottom