• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Gigabyte 1080 Extreme cards are a complete fail.

Associate
A while ago I bought the Gigabyte 1080 Extreme and it would not even complete a 3Dmark stress test with its own OC mode of 1936mhz.
I since bought the Gainward 1080 GLH Edition which OC's beautifully and well beyond the Gigabyte card.
I bought a second Gigabyte card, but this time the Waterforce edition. That card also crashes on its own OC mode of 1936mhz. That will be going back tomorrow and no card made by Gigabyte will ever grace my machine again. Just a bit of advice for anyone thinking about buying one. I am not saying all cards will crash, but it just says something about their QC if two of their cards I bought can't reach their advertised speeds.

Last edited:
I bought a Gigabyte R9 Fury elsewhere a few weeks ago. As soon as I started the machine up I knew something was wrong, as it was making a horrific noise. Tracked it down to the central fan, but couldn't tell what was causing it. As I was boxing it up for the return I noticed that there was some sort of manufacturing defect on the underside of the shroud, with a piece of something jutting out that the fan was catching on and making the noise. I couldn't even be bothered to try fixing it at that stage, so just returned it for a refund.

That was my only ever Gigabyte card, and I've read so many other stories of poor quality control on their cards recently that I'd be extremely hesitant to try them again. I realise all manufacturers have their issues, but their name seems to pop up again and again when it comes to faults out of the box.

I know 4 people(small sample size I know) with the extreme and they have not had a single issue, you just got unlucky, wouldn't write off gigabyte, they are usually outstanding

I had a 1080 xtreme, same issue it crashed on the boost clocks plus it had a ton of coil whine. 1 review mentioned being told thatygigabyte were no longer using binned GPU's. So basically using any GPU and hoping the software was able to throw enough volts at it to make it stable.

Gigabyte are ok, amd cards run hot but decent rma and good clocks. The g1 and windforce sound like a plane though..
Over clocking is a bit of a awkward one I had a r9 290 windforce which could clock to 1150 but couldn't thermally hold its own clock of 1050 and now have a g1 gaming r9 390 which runs much cooler but artefacts at 1070mhz
Tbh I consider them cool looking sub par product cards with great rma
To add I would get another as even if it broke it will always be fixed relatively quickly without hassle. Also I must add the windforce and g1 were gigabyte rma upgrades from a reference

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom