• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommend upgrade from a 2GB XFX HD7870 GHz edition

Soldato
I only play at 1080p (actually 1200) on a 1920 x 1200 60Hz monitor using DVI. I am looking for a cheapish card as an update, more than an upgrade and the RX 470 has caught my eye. At this resolution the 4Gb should be enough? I do not play many games.

Is this reasonable and should I be looking at anything else? I would like to stay south of £200.

Currently on an AMD FX9590 at stock in a 970FX Asrock motherboard. Will probably upgrade this system early in 2017.

Finally which make and model? EDIT must be quiet in normal operations.

Thanks in advance for all replies and recommendations.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to run that resolution with a 3GB card (7950) and it was fine, so a 4GB should be plenty.
Not sure about Make & model though, however I don't think there is much difference between them all - so the one with the best RMA and/or warranty is probably the best option.

Soldato
The cheapest RX470 AIB one IMHO,otherwise if you start spending too much on one the RX480 8GB and GTX1060 6GB will be not massively more in price.

The GTX1060 3GB probably will have a faster core,but I am concerned the 3GB of VRAM will hit limitations quicker over time,than say the 4GB of the RX470 cards.

Soldato
I would recommend this. It's got one of the higher clocks on a 470. It has a good cooler and it has 0db mode, meaning that until you start gaming (unless your ambient temps are really high), the fans are off. Also, Powercolor warranties are handled by OCUK, so you can expect a quick turn around in case you ever have to RMA it.

Soldato
OP
I would recommend this. It's got one of the higher clocks on a 470. It has a good cooler and it has 0db mode, meaning that until you start gaming (unless your ambient temps are really high), the fans are off. Also, Powercolor warranties are handled by OCUK, so you can expect a quick turn around in case you ever have to RMA it.

I had heard this but was looking for a link. That looks very good if still correct, it goes high on the list. Cheers will enquire.

Soldato
Hi there

Its being a long time since Overclockers UK sold Powercolor and some of you more keener lot noticed we had started selling them again before Christmas and this is why:-

• 2yr Advanced Warranty: OcUK 48-72hr turn-around which OcUK deal with
  • Removal of cooler won't invalidate warranty
  • New Black PCB / Cooler designs in mostly black/red colours
  • Exclusive on Devil Range to OcUK
  • LCS Range also available

In short you can now buy Powercolor with confidence in the UK with no RMA issues and the added benefit of cooler removal, bear in mind these terms are only with OcUK. :)

Back
Top Bottom