Chilli Sauce Making

Soldato
Just cropped more chillis so I have made sauce with what is lft of the last crop and these new ones.

Ingredients for red chilli sauce:

redsauce_zpslchcouyc.png

Onion, garlic, Trinidad Scorpion chillis, 7 Pot chillis, Red Peppers, Carrot (grated), Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and sugar.

Roasted the red peppers in the griddle pan. Fried up onions and garlic, dropped in chopped roasted peppers later. Poured in vinegar and seasoned then stewed, adding grated carrot. After 45 mins, took off heat and added fresh-squeezed lemon juice, blitzed, then bottled in sterilised bottles.

Ingredients for chilli and apple chutney:

chutney_zps5wkecrzk.png

Onion, garlic, green pepper, 8 x Granny Smith, Chocolate Habeneros, 7 Pot Chocolate, Organic Cider Vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, and lime juice.

Fry half of the onion, garlic, chilli, and green peppers. Add cider vinegar and bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Season. Add the reast of the garlic, onion, and chilli. Core and peel the apples and add. Stew for about an hour, stirring and adding more vinegar if it dries up. Stir and smush a bit so there's no liquid, more like chunky puree. Get it in sterilised jars.

Wash up and then sob because hands are stinging. Try not to touch soft and/or sensitive bits.

sauce_chutney_zpsywppdwcq.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Perfect timing for this thread! I was going to make some sauce with the chillies I haven't dried yet. How long does it last for?

If you have sterilised properly, the jars seal correctly, and your pH is less than 4.2 it will live indefinitely until opened and then a few months in the fridge once opened.

Soldato
How hard is it to make those chili oils that you get in Chinese restaurants, imagine it's just a case of getting the right flakes with some peanut oil and some garlic thrown in there?

Man of Honour
How hard is it to make those chili oils that you get in Chinese restaurants, imagine it's just a case of getting the right flakes with some peanut oil and some garlic thrown in there?

You need to take a few extra steps above just chucking raw chilli and garlic into oil or else you provide a perfect breeding ground for things like Botulisum. I imagine warming it all above a certain temp before bottling will do.

Soldato
You need to take a few extra steps above just chucking raw chilli and garlic into oil or else you provide a perfect breeding ground for things like Botulisum. I imagine warming it all above a certain temp before bottling will do.

Yes, just dropping it in cold oil will cause severe food poisoning.

Oil needs to be heated and the chilli and garlic washed.

Soldato
If you have sterilised properly, the jars seal correctly, and your pH is less than 4.2 it will live indefinitely until opened and then a few months in the fridge once opened.

I think I need to look into this in a bit more detail.. I was just going to slop it in some jars and hope for the best!

Soldato
I was planning on making a load and it lasting a while. I'm going to order some jars for the weekend and give it a crack. Do I need to use wax discs to seal it too?

Back
Top Bottom