free win 10 upgrade re-install on new computer

Soldato
Hi,
I've read that you can now link a free upgrade license to a win live/hotmail account. Is this going to work if you're changing mobo/cpu/ram at the same time? I'm changing socket am3 -> lga1151 so there is no change of upgrading in stages.

Am I going to need to buy a win 10 license for this change?

Associate
Chances are you will have to purchase a new licence as Windows 10 usually will not activate on a PC with a different motherboard, you can get around this sometimes if it is a replacement for a faulty motherboard, but a big upgrade is a bit different

Soldato
Hi,
I've read that you can now link a free upgrade license to a win live/hotmail account. Is this going to work if you're changing mobo/cpu/ram at the same time? I'm changing socket am3 -> lga1151 so there is no change of upgrading in stages.

Am I going to need to buy a win 10 license for this change?

thats basically a new computer, so it won't activate. if you only changed the motherboard then you would be able to activate it still...

you could try contact MS CS if you upgraded from a retail license, if not then you'll have to buy a win 10 license

Soldato
OP
I did upgrade from a retail license. However I recall reading that the win 10 upgrade does not retain the 'retail' aspect and converts into an oem.

Soldato
I did upgrade from a retail license. However I recall reading that the win 10 upgrade does not retain the 'retail' aspect and converts into an oem.

well it's a grey area. but going by the windows 10 terms it says if you've upgraded from a standalone product e.g windows 7/8/8.1 retail then your allowed to transfer windows 10.

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

theres only the free upgrade. you can't buy windows 10 upgrade version.

Last edited:
Soldato
All you need to do is phone the automated reactivation phone number they will activate it for you after you type in 8 different 6 digit numbers from your activation wizard. As long as you do not abuse this system (by trying too many times per month or on different machines) it will reactivate with no issues whatsoever MS ask you if its installed on how many machines if you answer 1 it nearly always reactivates.

My motherboard genuinely died no way was I buying another licence so I used the auto activate phone number MS allow that as I think they realise for home users they are not going to buy another licence if hardware dies or you replace the motherboard are you!

I allowed MS techies to remote connect to my PC earlier this year to reactivate they advised me in future use the automated phone system to activate as MS changed the parameters to allow reactivation a number of times if most of the hardware is the same.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/950929

"Windows 10
To start Product Activation:
1.Go to Start, then select Settings, choose Update & security, and then select Activation.
2.If your device is not activated, the Activate by phone option will be available."

Soldato
I allowed MS techies to remote connect to my PC earlier this year to reactivate they advised me in future use the automated phone system to activate as MS changed the parameters to allow reactivation a number of times if most of the hardware is the same.

thats the problem, most of his hardware has been changed. clearly you didn't read the OP.

also MS as set a limit on how many times you can reactivate the free version. i think it's 3 or 4 times. and that can be spread over mouths or within a month, doesn't matter. then you'll need to contact MS CS and there's no guarantee that they will reactivate it for you

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There is this clause in the win 10 t & c

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software...

and this excludes all upgrades.

I have a clean ssd that I can install win10 to phone up and try the activation. It'd only be time that is lost in the case.

Soldato
There is this clause in the win 10 t & c

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software...

and this excludes all upgrades.

I have a clean ssd that I can install win10 to phone up and try the activation. It'd only be time that is lost in the case.

read the whole thing. it says
b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.

if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software, it means if you have windows 7/8/8.1 retail and upgrade to windows 10, you may transfer the software to another device

there's no upgrade version you can buy. there was only the free upgrade

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom