Asrock Rack E3C224 & E3-1231v3: Non-ECC memory support?

Soldato
Hello

I killed my old vPRO 1155 motherboard so picked up a Xeon E3-1231v3 & ASrock Rack E3c224 for the IPMI functions.

From what I can tell, the Xeon will run using both ECC and non-ECC ram, but the motherboard QVL only lists ECC ram as compatible.

Inserting my current DDR3 ram causes an error code 2b on 'Dr Debug' which I have traced to 'Memory Initialisation - SPD' which suggests that the motherboard cannot read the memory.

If the motherboard only lists ECC ram on the QVL, is it likely that the manufacturer has enforced ECC only on the board? I've got a single stick of 8GB DDR3 ECC ram coming to try but wanted to ask here as well in case anyone had any experience of this?

Using iKVM from the IPMI, the boot screen sits at 'System Initialising...' and doesn't move no matter how long I leave it, this is the same time that the error code 2b is showing. It is likely that non-ECC ram is causing this?

Any pointers or thoughts are appreciated.

Chris

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. It didn't click when I ordered the board that it was ECC only as Xeon E3-12xx series support non-ECC too but trying to install the 16GB DDR3 I had was not getting very far!

New memory from the QVL is due to arrive later this week so this should be a good test!

Back
Top Bottom