1&1 Web Hosting - anyone had any experience with them?

Soldato
After having some annoying issues with my current web hosting provider I've decided that a change is in order. 1&1 caught my eye as they're competitively priced, a large company (so have hopefully invested in the necessary backend) and tick all the boxes I need ticked plus a few I didn't know I needed. Has anyone had any experiences with 1&1?

Soldato
What boxes do you need ticked?

As for 1&1 I can only speak from my own experience but a client was having horrific pings/terrible upload speed loading a very simple static page took the better part of 30 seconds regardless of where you tried to load it from. After speaking to support I find out they're not all technical and had to wait 24 hours to speak to a "technical advisor" who proceeded to blame the servers ping on the website itself(website was a grand total of ~400kbs. Hardly heavy by any stretch)... switched it to TSOhost and he hasn't looked back since. I'm sure lots of people have had good experiences though or they wouldn't be so big.

Personally I only ever reccomend tsohost or vidahost.

Soldato
High contention on virtual servers to reduce cost. My company was paying around £200 a month, even opening a windows event viewer was slow!

Man of Honour
Dunno what they are like these days but they accidentally renewed a domain once that my brother used to have with them a good 2 years after he'd cancelled it then went to a lot of expense and trouble to chase him over £6 that he didn't even owe them.

Associate
just look on their facebook page it says it all!!! looks liek they are still ripping people off.
My dad has 1 of his domains with them and is scared to move it to another company as he is worried of the attached rubbish. (polite way of saying it)

Soldato
TSOHost would be my recommendation. Well priced, great uptime and if something does go wrong the support is first class.

Stay away from the likes of 1&1, GoDaddy etc.

Back
Top Bottom