1/2 vs 3/8 ratchet?

Soldato
I was thinking of getting a ratchet set for working on the car probably won't use it much but I assume I should go for a 1/2'' first. The 3/8 may be better for accessibility though?

What are pros and cons?

Soldato
Depends on the kinf of jobs you're doing. I use 3/8 most of them time for engine bay and interior jobs. 1/2 is generally better for heavier jobs like suspension work.

My advice would be to get the Halfords advanced kit with 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 sets all in one :)

Soldato
I use my Halfords 3/8 set for big jobs too.
Unless ofc something is really stuck, then I break out my 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and my long handle 1/2 ratchet. And if that failed I get the breaker bar out.

And if THAT fails I use my torque gun...

Soldato
I pretty much exclusively use my 3/8 set. I do have a 1/2 set but it has a 12 point socket set as opposed to a 6 set - which makes it useless at removing stuck bolts. Whatever you get make sure it has good quality 6 sided sockets. I've done two sets of suspensions, five sets of brakes and heaps of stuff in between with just the 3/8th. Anything the 3/8th could handle I sorted using a spanner + stepped ring spanner combo.

Soldato
I use 3/8 the most personally but having a full set of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" ratchets and deep and shallow sockets is certainly useful imo. Breaker bars, extensions and universal joints are also good to have around.

Soldato
Mechanic by trade, use 3/8" 80% of the time. It's smaller, slimmer, lighter than 1/2".

I buy decent professional quality so it's plenty strong enough.

All depends on budget really.

Soldato
Ultimatly it depends on what you are working on and how much torque you need to apply.

1/4" is good for light work (And working in confined spaces) 3/8" will cover most situations in fact, but anything suspension related is likley to require 1/2"

If you are into "Serious" Mechanics then a set of 3/4" sockets can be useful too. Some hub nuts these days are unbelievably tight, especially if locktite has been used (It is not uncommon for large nuts like these to be far harder to undo than tighten again later. 3/4" socket with using a trolley jack handle as an extension has not been unheard of!)

As a rough guide for drive system Vs socket sizes

1/4" 3.2-14mm
3/8" 5.5-24mm
1/2" 8-36mm
3/4" 19-60mm

Soldato
All depends on the job, but a breaker bar needs to be strong. If you're only going to buy one, buy a decent 1/2" one

This.

1/2” breaker bar

As said above you cant go wrong with the halfords sets and get 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 in one box.

They are on sale at the moment as-well. Unsure if they are still good as they used to be however. All my stuff is the “professional” stuff and then they changed to “advanced”

Man of Honour
What about for a breaker bar would 3/8 be enough for all bolts?

No. I had to remove one of my front wheels last week only to find that I couldn't. The stupid tyre fitters must have done the wheel nut up as tight as they could with a air gun followed by jumping up and down on a large piece of pipe fitted over a breaker bar. I have never come across any wheel nuts as tight as those. I bent a 36" breaker bar and broke a 3/8" and a 1/2" 17mm sockets and a 3/8"-1/2" adaptor trying to undo them. I took the car down the local garage to see if they could undo them and it took a guy swinging on a huge length of pipe fitted over a breaker bar to free them. They said that the nuts were crazy tight and that they have never seen any that bad before. As a precautionary measure I replaced the wheel bolts and all are now torqued to the correct 110nm.

I would get a 1/2" or even better 3/4" breaker bar, or both like I have.

Associate
This.

1/2” breaker bar

As said above you cant go wrong with the halfords sets and get 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 in one box.

They are on sale at the moment as-well. Unsure if they are still good as they used to be however. All my stuff is the “professional” stuff and then they changed to “advanced”

Fairly sure its more a rebranding than anything, still come with the lifetime warranties.

Soldato
Halfords Professional/Advanced or Clarke Professional if it's on sale, both come with a lifetime warranty, in the Clarke example, this isn't the kind of warranty that you fill in a form and it gets sent away, I cracked a 1/2" 21mm on my Clarke set last weekend, it was replaced free of charge in the time it took the guy to walk to the shelf, pull a comparable set and take the socket out and hand it to me, no paperwork, no agro - this is a 15 year old set of sockets that has seen it's share of work.

Generally I prefer 3/8" for most normal jobs, 1/4" for difficult to reach/access stuff etc. and 1/2" for abuse, impact wrench/sockets for when harsh language and a breaker bar hasn't had the desired affect, the blow torch rarely has to be used ;)

Soldato
what do the actual specs say about 3/8 drive versus 1/2 drive breaking strain ? just glanced at facom catalogue they do not seem to say.

I've not seen situations where 1/2 is too cumbersome, handle length etc, versus a 3/8, and wouldn't remove a wheel nut with a 3/8, so 1/2 gets my vote,
plus a 1/4 inch for car interior etc.

the guarantee is not too useful if it has rounded the nut, or return shop not adjacent, although, I have only had such problems with bost 45/50 size torx keys.

Facom 1/2" ratchet and their sockets, puchased as needed, feel strong, low flex and fit well, and have extended that with a pipe in the past -
much more so than tyre iron supplied with car , where you can feel the flex, and wonder what damage it would do to you/car if it broke. (wear goggles ???)

Soldato
The larger ones can adapt down to the smaller ones.

I got a couple of cheap sets so ended up with both. The smaller one can be handy in tight spaces.

Soldato
This is the top drawer of my toolbox. It's missing a few new tools, but gives an idea. The majority of it is 3/8"

Just to give you an idea, that drawer is 54" wide and 30" deep

Stuck it in spoiler tags, not sure on size of pic
DELyic0.jpg

Soldato
3/8th is fine for day to day work, 1/2 for when things don’t want to move and 1” socket sets And scaffolding bar when things really don’t want to budge. And if that don’t work hydraulic pack comes out.

Back
Top Bottom