1/2 vs 3/8 ratchet?

Soldato
I can see that a 3/8 snapon collection, like mushtafas, might be as strong as a cheaper 1/2" too.

is there a significant difference in price to build up a 3/8 versus 1/2 collection ?
- the draper expert socket 1/2->3/8 convertors have been in my basket for ever too.

Soldato
My brother has Snap-on - I had to sign it out when I borrow a tool.

Mushtafa.
I would have given my right arm 50 yrs ago for that tool chest - I remember stripping down my Triumph engines with a few ring and open ended spanners and the must have adjustable spanner - King Dick with the gov arrow stamped on it.

Soldato
The Halfords top end range are Facom made.
interesting to know .. the halfords pro is 12pt too no ... so that would be be a bit more iffy on a wheel nut than a 6pan.

(.. yes we need a post a picture of your favourite spanner thread - stahwille flexi, not forgetting the bacho adjustable - too poor for king dick )

Associate
interesting to know .. the halfords pro is 12pt too no ... so that would be be a bit more iffy on a wheel nut than a 6pan.

(.. yes we need a post a picture of your favourite spanner thread - stahwille flexi, not forgetting the bacho adjustable - too poor for king dick )

You can get 6 or 12 point from Facom they own Britool also. Kamasa socket sets are good well most of there tools are.Stahwille are great they make Sthil tools.
Tengs good.
Had a socket set made by Toolstar years back tough as F! cracked 13mm socket with windy gun after many many attempts lol doing things up etc
Ive Bhaco sets myself now plus bits of others got from my friend who passed away few years back after 50 odd years in the trade(when lead filled dents)who i did jobs for.

Have some Stahwille spanners and Elora who are good also along with my Halfords Pro flexi Ratchet spanners and dual compound long nose pliers(muttsnuts!)great for heater plugs!
Big Bhaco adjustable spanner.

Many companies have a decent tool range and not so decent or there minor/budget brands run them
Like Amtech and Ampro Ampro ratchets are good have 1/4 and 1/2" hung on a bolt one day that snapped extension bar yet ratchets fine

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Why don't Halfords get rid of the imperial stuff though ? ... or maybe I should drive 'British' cars, not German. ..
(I suppose you need a few spanners for plumbing but I can't rememeber the last time I used a socket there .. or on white goods)

Soldato
Why don't Halfords get rid of the imperial stuff though ? ... or maybe I should drive 'British' cars, not German. ..
(I suppose you need a few spanners for plumbing but I can't rememeber the last time I used a socket there .. or on white goods)

I hadn't thought about that, but absolutely spot on, I've go their larger professional socket set kit, really good stuff, but I agree, I'd rather have a cheaper/smaller kit with just the metric stuff!

Soldato
I've been in the motor trade all my working life and pretty much all my stuff is 3/8.

I do have a few 1/4 drive sets which are very handy for the small stuff, and a small selection of 1/2 for wheels and suspension work, but they rarely get used.

If I could only have one size it would be 3/8.

Caporegime
I use a Hilka set that belonged to my dad in the 80's. 1/4" to 1/2". Still going strong. Done everything from removing plastic covers to changing gearboxes and engine work. Most important thing is just to spend a decent amount on a good set and work from there.

Soldato
What you think this, cheap but I may hardly ever use it, may try a brake pad change in future sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Socket-S...757756?hash=item2a7baffdbc:g:B7kAAOSw1QpaOpg9

I wouldn't bother personally. All it takes is one smashed knuckle, damaged socket or being stuck halfway through a job and you'll regret it.

Invest in something half decent or don't bother imo. If you don't think you'll use it often, just get a decent 3/8 set.

What about Bahco S330 Socket Set 34 Piece 1/4 and 3/8 Square Drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001JZRYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GOJ.CbP7D48KZ

Soldato
if your on a budget iv used silverline and draper tools which are not half bad. have handled many heavy duty car jobs and lasted many years. have also used sealey tools, an impact socket set which is more than up to the job.

Don
What about Bahco S330 Socket Set 34 Piece 1/4 and 3/8 Square Drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001JZRYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GOJ.CbP7D48KZ

I've got that one and the matching 1/4 set
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Socket-16-Piece-4-Inch-Drive/dp/B000Y8T42I/

Much nicer to use than the cheap (draper and some no name) sets I've had in the past.
Not used them too much on the car, but have been effortless for general diy, and working on both mine and the kids bikes.

Back
Top Bottom