1 £3,000 door

Caporegime
Hardwood lipping to all 4 edged and with the veneer no mdf is exposed. If the mdf has a chance to get wet in your apartment you have bigger problems than a few doors.

I wonder if part of the issue is that with most commodities, the top end luxury items (of which a £3k door is to most people certainly one) typically sacrifice some practicality for charm, character, and panache.

To many, there's no panache or charm to be found in anything made of MDF, no matter how well constructed and long-lasting.

Even if it were true that solid wood doors have less longevity than MDF veneer, do these wealthy people really care that their doors will last 20 years instead of 40 before they need to be maintained? Do they care that the doors might need sanding or re-aligning in five years?

The owner of a Patek watch doesn't worry about getting it serviced for £1k in 7 years and get a Casio digital instead, they just enjoy the luxury and charm of it. I'm not sure why doors are any different to rich people.

However, you've explained your points very well, for what it's worth. Maybe this:

You'll find that mdf and other composite reconstituted timbers are what most timber products are made of.

...is the key point that most of us plebs are missing!

Last edited:
Soldato
Still a massive outlay for MDF!!!

Real timber isn't inherently expensive either, it's like the nonsense people come out with with regards to phones, with how they get all uppity over a phone being made from plastic instead of metal and or glass.

Metal and or glass makes a device look "premium" but it also increases the risk of major damage. They are heavier, and therefore will fall with more force.

This is the same sort of thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with MDF, it's cheap but then so is a lot of wood.

Caporegime
Have seen many 'Hardwood' internal doors that are 100 times better looking and really do 'fit' well and if fitted correctly will need hardly any tweaking!

That was more a commentary on personal and unique, which usually implies custom made, not necessarily a commentary on hardwood doors.

That said real wood anything requires a lot more maintenance in ways that "engineered" wood doesn't. things like humidity and heat and cold can affect real wood far more than engineered products. It's not even too wet, too dry is a problem as well.

That said, don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of MDF. It does have its uses though.

Caporegime
That's everything fully installed, insured and warrantied for 12 years.

Bit different to a £3000 door then ;)

It looks a bit thin to be a door though, is that just a sample of the construction or are there some tricks being employed to make them seem chunkier?

Back
Top Bottom