1.6Gbps BB - Is it overkill?

Caporegime
At 1.6Gbps connection speeds you're also going to be hitting storage limits if you have your games library on an HDD - downloading to a cache location and then reading back out of here to extract the files and write back to the Steam install directory is not going to happen very quickly if those locations are on the same disk and it's not an SSD.

Soldato
I've had 1000Mb, back on 70Mb now, barely even notice it. Can still watch multiple 4k HDR streams, download what I want fairly quickly certainly fast enough.

I think they should more heavily subsidise the lower speeds by the faster speeds paying more.
I refuse to take a contact that has mid contact price rises as well.

Soldato
After a long time waiting FTTP is coming my way. I've had a look around and see that EE offer 1.6Gbps. I previously had Virgin 350Mbs a few years back and doubt I took full advantage, apart from a couple of console game downloads.

Under what circumstance would a 1.6Gbps connection (more likely 1.3Gbps) be useful? Even the PS5 hard wired to the router would presumably max out at 1Gbps, and also be limited by server speed when downloading games. I'm guessing wi-fi devices wouldn't even touch the sides.

And if a 1.6Gbps is way over the top, what would be reasonable speed?

Once you get higher than 1Gbps, it basically just means you can do more things at once and have more people using the internet without affecting eachother

Don
Once you get higher than 1Gbps, it basically just means you can do more things at once and have more people using the internet without affecting eachother
You can do that at 1Gbps or below, as long as you use common sense (i.e. don't try and download at full Gigabit speed whilst someone's gaming online) or apply traffic shaping (e.g. Cake or FQ_Codel), or apply bandwidth limitation (either globally via the router, unintentionally via Wifi speed being lower than internet connection speed, or artificially via e.g. Steam bandwidth limit)

Soldato
For the majrity of the population, 100-500mbps is plenty. However, now that gigabit is more widespread I think everyone will be on it sooner or later. I have a symmetrical gigabit connection and I use every bit of it at certain times, but i certainly don't feel as though I need any more. Everyone would need new equipment one we get over gigabit and people are unlikely to spend the money on it unless it benefits them.

Associate
i7 8700K. On Steam it does get a bit of a workout while decrypting/decompressing but with Game Pass games it's clearly their servers. Just tried downloading a 3.3GB game, it didn't go higher than 70MB/sec and that was only briefly.

Probably CPU limited, on VM 1Gb Steam is typically 120-140MB/s

I very rarely max out my 1Gb connection, I could live with far less but it's nice to have the speed for big game downloads etc, especially on my handheld PC which has a small drive, still I wouldn't pay a premium for fast bandwidth if I didn't have a use case, same for upload, 110Mb does me but I'm typically only pulling images or streaming videos.

The only metric I'd pay more for is latency, that is the only thing that would improve everything for us in the house hold.

Associate
I'd like 900 but realistically 500 is more than enough (on 75 now)
How is contention with fttp?

Last edited:
Associate
Where do you get 900 for £31. The likes of Aquiss that gets you 150mb

There's usually some City Fibre seller that has an offer on, its just a matter of finding them. In this case the renewal options with No One were favourable, it was £40/month previously.

Soldato
There's usually some City Fibre seller that has an offer on, its just a matter of finding them. In this case the renewal options with No One were favourable, it was £40/month previously.
Don't think City Fiber are around here just openreach and virgin.

Associate
Don't think City Fiber are around here just openreach and virgin.

Prices vary a lot regionally. At my previous address, there was only one FTTP ISP (a local altnet) and as such they were priced at £85/month for 900/900, and £55/month for 600/600 due to no competition.

Associate
i got 1.6Gbps from EE which i have regularly seen 1.8 to 2Gbps on. I love it.My motherboard has a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port on the back and my server a 10Gbps card. The bandwidth is great for us in my house with 4 users streaming 4K, downloading games and working from home. I pay £64.99 a month for it p[lus as part of teh deal i have 3 SIMs for the rest of the Family at £10 with unlimited data but capped at 100Mbps and my SIM which is £13 a month which is totally unlimited and includes Xbox game pass, Office 365 and TNT sport (worth £40) a month so prettyu pleased all in

Back
Top Bottom