1 x 16GB DDR3 Sticks

Associate
Hi Overclockers UK members,

I am looking in building a small personal server that I will be running a lot of VM's in simultaneously to help me learn and get the best out a variety of OS's.

Before I begin I realise 1 x 16GB DDR3 is outrageously expensive, more than twice the price of 2 sticks of 8GB, I have already ascertained :D.

So far I have only found that Crucial provide such offerings. I have a few questions regarding the Crucial RAM about which variant (list below) would be the best for handling multiple VM's (if there is a difference at all).

Below is a list of Dual-Ranked 16GB DDR3 RAM Sticks:

My motherboard allows DDR3-1600 speed RAM, as I plan not to do any overclocking is it worth getting the DDR3-1600 at CL=11 instead of the DDR3-1333 at CL=9?

The only difference I can see between the first item in the list (CT204872BB160B) and the last item (CT16G3ERSLD4160B) is that the last item is 'x4 based'. I tried a quick google on what that meant but was quite confused at the results I got. Can anyone calrify what 'x4 based' means and if the Motherboard needs a special feature to be able to accept such type of RAM?

If anyone can recommend other manufacturers who sell this sort of RAM set up then please provide links so I can do some comparisons.

Thanks

Grindiron

Associate
OP
Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses.

Have you checked your mobo will work with 16Gb sticks?
I've done all the checks don't worry, only concern is the 'x4 based' aspect and whether or not that is most beneficial.

how much memory do you intend on fitting overall?
I plan on building a dual socket AMD C32 motherboard that will eventually get kitted out with 128GB of RAM. Having only 4 slots per CPU means I have to have a 16GB stick per slot to max it out.

I've been splitting my posts up for each part of the server build other wise it would be massive TL;DR post :D

Soldato
The only difference I can see between the first item in the list (CT204872BB160B) and the last item (CT16G3ERSLD4160B) is that the last item is 'x4 based'.

Just ask Crucial for an explanation, would save time and be less confusing.

Associate
OP
I tried the link robj20 but unfortunately it lands me to an empty overclockers page :confused:

Moreover I tried going to the Mushkin's homepage and that seemed to be down for some reason.

Would Mushkin be a better choice over Crucial in terms of performance and reliability?

Back
Top Bottom