10 year old laptop problem

Associate
Hey guys,

So my girlfriends laptop has been shutting off randomly for a while, I changed the battery as I thought it was down to that, but no luck. So after trying different parts and every possible fix I could, I have today noticed that the charger seems to be very intermittent when you touch it, sometimes the slightest movement can shut the laptop off, other times it takes nothing. I opened the laptop today and it seems that at the entry point where the charger connection plugs in, the motherboard seems to have some solder problems. I have posted 2 images below, I think the solder needs redoing, but some advice would be great. The charger connector was also getting very hot for a while, I am sure this is why. Anyway the laptop no longer powers on now, so any help would be great.

Top right on the below image, you can see the 6 solder points
https://ibb.co/0cWDyqm
https://ibb.co/p4Vfm3n

Associate
OP
Hi, no I will need to order a soldering iron, the battery isn't dead mate, I bought a 2nd battery and it is doing the same. I have never soldered before, can someone point me to the right place and tell me what I need, I am not afraid to give it a go.
So seems I need a soldering iron, braid and flux. What else? Where shall i buy this stuff guys? I hope I won't need to replace the jack, I can't find one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am going to try and fix it myself, and I am quite skilled at most things and I am sure that I will use the soldering bits again if I can learn. Do you guys think I will be able to reuse the same headphone connector that I am soldering? I cant find a replacement.

Associate
OP
OK thanks, I found a kit on amazon with everything required and it's not too expensive. I am ordering it now, hopefully I can do it, I like a challenge.

Associate
OP
My soldering kit is here, came with everything excepy flux. The issue with you guys thinking something has been getting hot does make sense. The charger was boiling hot to touch and connector for some time, until last week i change thermal paste on gpu and cpu and temps on both plummeted. So without flux im not sure i can do this, the kits has all sorts but whether or not this is enough i dont know. I see in this kit

Solder wick, soldering paste (is that flux?), solder pump, multimeter (never used one of them), soldering tips, a pcb (guessing thats for practice), solder holder ans stand and lots more. From amazon for £21.95, plusivo kit. I have never done this clearly haha

Back
Top Bottom