1000W power supply recommendations

Soldato
Hi all,

A certain rainforest store has decided to simply refund rather than deal with a warranty enquiry, so I'm looking for a replacement for my EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2. Won't be buying another one of these (or the SuperFlower units) as unfortunately the fans aren't great; it whistles fairly loudly at any speed, a more common issue than I'd like to deal with. If they were to offer a better fan I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Seems that amongst the usual high-end bunch it's difficult to go wrong. So I'm considering any of the 80 Plus Platinum contenders (most of these seem to offer excellent performance across the board), and even the Corsair RM1000x as it's dirt cheap, approaches platinum efficiency and has fantastic ripple suppression and voltage regulation.

At the upper-£100 price point it seems that the HX1000i is the best all-round option (very quiet), but any recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers for the speedy replies! Not at all interested in Link to be honest, its measurements aren't all that accurate and quite honestly, I don't see a need for it.

Soldato
OP
Lots of reading around this today, so an update for anybody that comes across this thread.

TechPowerUp have reviewed all the units mentioned here: the Corsair HX1000i and RM1000x, and the SuperNOVA 1000W P2. They've also reviewed the RM1000i. Their reviews are the most comprehensive I've found beyond power delivery (primarily noise at virtually all possible load levels).

The HX1000i isn't worth considering. The marginally higher efficiency doesn't offset the poorer voltage regulation and ripple suppression compared with the other units (which all feature capacitors in their 12V cables). If you're absolutely desperate for flat cables, go ahead.

The RM1000x uses a rifle bearing fan, whilst the RM1000i features a fluid dynamic bearing fan and Corsair Link (like the HX1000i). Otherwise, performance between the two RM units is virtually identical (expected, same unit aside from the aforementioned differences). Both are more efficient under lower loads than the HX1000i and the EVGA/SF unit, and are comparable to the EVGA/SF unit under load (of course, this will vary per unit).

12V voltage regulation is better on the EVGA/SF unit, but no alarm bells here.

All in all, the RM1000i is my choice, purely because of the FLB fan. Similar performance, slightly quieter, better fan, and slightly lower price point than the EVGA/SF unit. Similar support service in the UK however (i.e. excellent).

The EVGA/SF unit is still fantastic however, and quite frankly they have the strongest line-up of any manufacturer by a large margin. If they used a higher quality fan it'd be my pick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom