• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 and 1080TI = same frame rates :o

Associate
Obviously i'm doing something wrong, but i'm fortunate at the mo to have access to both a 1070 and 1080TI. Having up until recently only had a 660TI.

For fun I thought i'd benchmark all 3 on Crysis 1 at 4K, using the standard GPUBenchmark.bat

660TI got around 18fps
1070 42fps
and 1080TI..... 43fps.... eh?

I've tried completely removing the graphics drivers, and reinstalling, but can't seem to beat that benchmark. Although old now, i'm running an i7 3770K (default clocks) and 32GB ram, so i'm assuming it's not my system bottlenecking the 1080Ti. (will run at much lower res shortly to confirm that)

Will keep digging for now, but any obvious thoughts people have will be much appreciated.

As a side note, the only other benchmark i've tried yet is VRMark, which also gave same frame rates (around 93fps for the 1070 and 1080ti)

Associate
cpu bottleneck is what comes to mind, but 4k res that should shift it to the gpu, the Ram also can shrink fps if too slow, maybe try running only 2 sticks with better timing ?

Associate
OP
Oo, not tried DDU, will try that tomorrow (late here now).

Managed to get TaskManager to display while benchmarking crisis. Apparently uses a whopping 9 - 10% cpu during the GPU bench. Interestingly, hovering around 1.8 - 2.2GHZ clock rate, so not even seeming to feel the need to sweat (occasionally jumps to 3Ghz).

Memory timings could indeed be an issue. Task manager says its only at 1333Mhz, which actually seems lower than i thought it should be. The sticks i have are 1600Mhz Corsair Vengence DDR3
CML16GX3M2A1600C10

Soldato
What settings have you got Crysis currently set to, as the GPU Benchmark bat file uses those? Also, are you benching the 32bit or 64bit executable for Crysis? Just wondering if I can replicate your tests here (only got a 1080ti to test, no 1070 I'm afraid) to see if the results are close.

V F

V F

Soldato
What settings have you got Crysis currently set to, as the GPU Benchmark bat file uses those? Also, are you benching the 32bit or 64bit executable for Crysis? Just wondering if I can replicate your tests here (only got a 1080ti to test, no 1070 I'm afraid) to see if the results are close.

Sounds like the disc version? As Origin and Steam are only 32bit.

Associate
OP
Not really going to get a chance to test (retest) fully until this evening, but AlamoX, you are a genius. It seems my desktop had been set to use maximum power saving stuff, so i turned it back to balance then manually told the CPU not to use less than 100%. On benchmark now task manager is saying it's clocking at 4.14Ghz.

Average FPS on 4th run through are just over 60fps, so better, but not as good as i expect to get to.

Still not done DDU so will try that tonight

I am indeed running through steam, so 32bit, and everything is set on maximum quality, apart from AA which is completely off. No mods or anything installed.

Soldato
Sounds like the disc version? As Origin and Steam are only 32bit.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd reply he was using the 32bit version as I've only got the Steam one installed - have got the disc somewhere I would've dug out if he'd replied he was using 64bit! :D

Not really going to get a chance to test (retest) fully until this evening, but AlamoX, you are a genius. It seems my desktop had been set to use maximum power saving stuff, so i turned it back to balance then manually told the CPU not to use less than 100%. On benchmark now task manager is saying it's clocking at 4.14Ghz.

Average FPS on 4th run through are just over 60fps, so better, but not as good as i expect to get to.

Still not done DDU so will try that tonight

I am indeed running through steam, so 32bit, and everything is set on maximum quality, apart from AA which is completely off. No mods or anything installed.

OK, set Crysis to Very High on everything, and turned AA to Off. Running the GPUBenchmark.bat produces the results BEFORE it runs the benchmark, so it looks like the results it's showing are from the previous run. I'm getting average FPS in the late 70s (71.53, 78.27, 79.40, 79.67) with these settings at 3840x2160, which is with my PC in the signature (4790K @ 4.4, 16GB DDR3 at 2400MHz, 1080ti without a manual overclock).

Did try the standalone Crysis Benchmark Tool, but the resolution settings top out at 2560x2048. :(

V F

V F

Soldato
Crysis does have poor optimisation though. The snow scene and the aircraft carrier can end up with terrible stuttering and huge framerate dips.

The person for this video comments on the huge memory leaks.

i7 6770k, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz

Man of Honour
You are benching with V-Sync turned off? that is suspiciously near what you'd get if you were being limited by V-Sync multipliers.

Crysis 1 is CPU bound.

Yeah the single thread/API throughput bottlenecks do hit it hard - even not that long after release I'd see massive increases from CPU overclocking with the benchmark loop.

Back
Top Bottom