• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10700k to 13700k

Associate
So i have just purchased a 13700k (£299) to upgrade from a 10700k. I game at 1440p 90fps gsync and in most games i have no issues with the 10700k. However, hunt showdown 1896 and helldivers 2 really struggle at 1-2 of my 10700k cores are hitting 100% causing fps drops. Hoping paired with my 4080 super i will see a large increase in smoothness. What does everyone else think?

Did you buy a new motherboard and memory too? I don't believe your Z590 supports the 13700K.

If you purely game you'd have been better off going AM5 with a 7800X3D.

Last edited:
First thing I would do is make sure your bios is fully up to date as there is a number of issues with the 13/14th gen CPUs

EDIT - As mentioned above, the 10700K is LGA1200 and the 13th gen is LGA1700 so you would need a new board (Different Sockets). These boards do come in DDR4 as well as DDR5

Last edited:
Gray and Ed are 100% correct.

Additionally, I would have expected the 10700K to be fine for gaming but hey, it might be showing its age.

The fact that only 2 cores are at 100% makes me think that it might be a windows OS issue not making full use of all the cores. I’d have expected all cores to be used under a stressful game.

The 7800X3D would also have been an amazing purchase.

Last edited:
Did you buy a new motherboard and memory too? I don't believe your Z590 supports the 13700K.

If you purely game you'd have been better off going AM5 with a 7800X3D.
I forgot to add i also got the gigabyte z790 aorus elite ddr4.
First thing I would do is make sure your bios is fully up to date as there is a number of issues with the 13/14th gen CPUs

EDIT - As mentioned above, the 10700K is LGA1200 and the 13th gen is LGA1700 so you would need a new board (Different Sockets). These boards do come in DDR4 as well as DDR5
Already plan to do this for the reason you mentioned :)
Gray and Ed are 100% correct.

Additionally, I would have expected the 10700K to be fine for gaming but hey, it might be showing its age.

The fact that only 2 cores are at 100% makes me think that it might be a windows OS issue not making full use of all the cores. I’d have expected all cores to be used under a stressful game.

The 7800X3D would also have been an amazing purchase.
All cores are being heavily hit at between 70-100% but 2 cores frequently hit 100% causing fps drops.

I don't think that the 10700K was much (if any) faster than the 9900K from back in the day, so I could see it holding back a 4080S to some extent in fairness.

I don't think that the 10700K was much (if any) faster than the 9900K from back in the day, so I could see it holding back a 4080S to some extent in fairness.
It is the same cpu :)
Fair. I would have still tried a fresh OS install first but hey.
Already done this :)
Have to remember 10th gen is just Skylake with a few extra bells and whistles, which is going on ~10 years old at this point!
Very true.

Why not. what benches should i run?
Games would be good, but I don't know if those games you mentioned have any benches.

Doesn't have to be official though, you could just record your FPS in certain places and tell us the difference.

Back
Top Bottom