• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti getting really quite hot

Associate
Hi All,

I've been playing a fair bit of The Division 1 recently. I could feel that the warm air being expelled from the top of the case was really rather warm. I loaded up HWInfo and continued to game. When I finished, I checked the peak temperatures as well as the average. For my stock Inno3d 1080 Ti ichill x3 it peaked at 82c and averaged 77c. By this point, the fan was nigh on 100% for most of the gaming session. This seems really rather warm considering it packs a decent cooler. My Ryzen 2700X was at stock and is cooled by an EVGA CLC 240, that was getting up to 70c peak as well. This seems high but I am assuming that is because it is sucking up the hot air from the GPU and exhausting through the top.

My case is a Corsair 88R with two Corsair SP120 on the front and the case supplied 120mm on the rear. The radiator is mounted on the top and exhausts the hot air. I got the case because I needed one in a hurry and it's quite small so ideal to take round friends' houses. However, the cable management options are really poor and coupled with my non modular PSU, it's quite untidy:

YOjRFn1.jpg

Going forward, do I have many options that do not involve a new case? From reading reviews, the GPU should be cooler, so something is not quite right. Do I need a bigger case for everything to breathe? I think the airflow is okay, it's following the standard cool air in the front and hot air out the top and back. Do I need to undervolt the GPU?

My other PC is used as a server, it's got 10 HDD blocking air flow but it is a housed in a Fractal R5. It's got a 2700X @ 4.2GHz cooled by a H115i Pro and a Vega 56 Pulse, this stays really rather cool. This has two 140mm fans upfront and a 120mm in the rear. I was expecting this to get quite warm due to the amount of hardware in it but have been pleasantly surprised.

Associate
OP
Okay, so it looks like I was expecting the GPU to be a bit cooler, it kinda reminds me of my R9 290 for temperatures; it's hot but that is what you get.

If I was to change cases, I quite like the look of the Fractal Design Define S or another R5. Is it worth changing the fans over from the ones I have? My concern is that the study was 18c last night so when the summer hits, I reckon I could be in trouble.

Associate
OP
OCUK have the Fractal R6 on offer for £109.99, I think I will pick one of them up and get the components moved over. It's a fair bit bigger and will allow me to actually cable manage.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I've checked the GPU and can't see any dust in it. I've ordered an R6 and a can of compressed air. Looks like I'll be switching cases over the weekend. Is the general consensus to front mount my radiator?

Associate
OP
So, I've transported everything into the R6, it's a beautiful case with the glass window. I've cable managed as best as I can, I don't think 8 Pack will be out of a job anytime soon lol. Here are couple of photos:

Afzsvt6.jpg

6wgetQy.jpg

In terms of temperatures, I've got the CPU down from 70c to 60c and the 1080Ti down from a high of 82c down to a high of 71c. So a decent set of temperature drops across the board. Thanks for the help everyone!

Associate
OP
So I've now switched over to The Division 2 and with the slightly warmer weather the temperatures are now at around 85c while gaming. I've tried with the side of the case off and it literally shaves off a degree or two. Using MSI afterburner I can see the GPU gets up to around 85c with fan at 96%, utilisation at 98% and a core speed of around 1980MHz. The game in question was being played at 1440p on a 165Hz G-Sync monitor. It looks like it is boosting well but I would have expected the temperatures to be a little lower especially with the fan nigh on 100%. Thinking of doing a repaste. In 15 years of building PCs I've never had to do one before. Is it a case of just unscrewing the cooler and away you go with cleaning and reapplying? Any pro tips?

Back
Top Bottom