• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1090T Too hot?

Soldato
Hi there

I think I have about had a heart attack. I overclocked my cpu to 3.6Ghz, prime 95 registered a top temperature of 49C in CPUID Hardware monitor and once I set the offset in Coretemp reads with 1C of HW Monitor and it also read top temp of 49C. I set the alarm on coretemp to come on at 49 as I thought nothing would get my temps high like Prime 95 and if something did, could be something wrong.

Anyway, playing F1 2010 I had stutter problem so I reset CPU to standard just to be sure it wasn't overclock. I played a couple of hours of F1 with no problems in game etc but just noticed my temp showing in HWMonitor

98456993.jpg

Thats got to be wrong surely because as bad as core temp is at reading these chips, with the offset inplace it matches under prime but highest it recorded was 47. Only thing I can think of is that my graphics card was in the 80C's so it added to the cpu getting hot (even though my h50 draws cooler air into the case) Surely also if went that high over temps I should have dead chip by now?

Greboth.

Associate
That looks like quite a high temp! although it shouldn't like this with your setup. I remember when I had the stock cooler on my quad core phenom I ran prime after a couple of months and the temps hit 72 degrees without shutting down. Not sure why it didn't auto shut down!

Try running prime again on its own and see what temp your getting. It may be just dust in the radiator, the pump not getting max volts or maybe the heatsink that is not optimally contacting the CPU.

Soldato
Hmm 76C does seem very odd. I would try running another temp monitoring program and seeing what it says. The other temps are normal so I am guessing this is just an anomily in the program.

Soldato
OP
How much of a coincidence, my order for a couple of apache vipers for push pull came this morning :) (they are noisy but omg how much air flow)

I could see the fan was working so I checked the pump, pump is in pwr fan which ET6 shows as 1433 rpm. I ran prime over night again, highest temp was 45C though ambient was going to be lower but not 30C difference in ambient. Just fitted my vipers and there was a bit of dust on the radiator but not enough to block it. To the best of my knowledge and ability (which isn't saying much haha) the pump is attached properly and evenly. Prime temps seem around other peoples 1090's so I can only conclude that it is.

NathWraith - Can you suggest any other program? As I have the 3 I know of. I guess it could be an anomily, core temp did momentarily read my cpu the other days at 600 and something degrees for a second.

Slightly off topic: With my dual vipers I bought the PWM Fan splitter now I thought that with the connection to the cpu fan header it would auto control the 2 vipers fan speed? but they are running at 100% at the moment.

Soldato
OP
I noticed that about realtemp, but I have downloaded speedfan though. Played F1 again last night, full length grand prix and temps never got above 40 in any program, though this is on dual vipers instead of oem fan so I guess it just glitched a high temp for some reason.

Has anyone please got a solution for pwm on the splitter? Power only comes from the molex and the 4pin into cpu_fan seems to have no effect on fan speed. I don't care about fan noise during gaming but trying to watch F1 on iPLayer last night was annoying.

Soldato
Seems liek a very similar setup to mine mate - You should easily be able to hit 4Ghz with that setup.

I used to use stock fan on my corsair H50 - temps hit as high as 61Degrees C when priming overnight - since getting the two apaches on it - I hardly hit 55Degrees C :)

I have the same problem with my power splitter too mate - I'm not really that bothered though as them apaches are pretty darn quite compared to the other fans in my case. You could try fiddling with BIOS settings - as I can seem to adjust them using the Q-FAN settings in my BIOS (Asus board though)

Remember - coretemp shows estimated core temperatures - which are roughly 10 degrees cooler than what the actual CPU temp is - HWMonitor should give a good estimate - Aim for Low 60's / High 50's as top for 24/7 use when overclocking.

Gaming my system never goes above 43Degrees C either.

hth.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seems liek a very similar setup to mine mate - You should easily be able to hit 4Ghz with that setup.

I plan on trying to hit 4ghz, but troubleshooting has got me at stock speed for now :(

I used to use stock fan on my corsair H50 - temps hit as high as 61Degrees C when priming overnight - since getting the two apaches on it - I hardly hit 55Degrees C :)

I have the same problem with my power splitter too mate - I'm not really that bothered though as them apaches are pretty darn quite compared to the other fans in my case. You could try fiddling with BIOS settings - as I can seem to adjust them using the Q-FAN settings in my BIOS (Asus board though)

Yh, the stock fan seemed to do its job but compared to the stock, the apaches flow sooooooo much air, nevermind with push pull. Everything about the splitter make it sound like it should make all 3 fans should be controllable on pwm but don't seem to be :( When I tested the fans out of the case they don't make much noise, I guess its the radiator causing them the extra noise. My fan controller should be delivered today so might have go for one viper from mobo header and second on controller but I don't know how well it will work if I can get it to work.

Remember - coretemp shows estimated core temperatures - which are roughly 10 degrees cooler than what the actual CPU temp is - HWMonitor should give a good estimate - Aim for Low 60's / High 50's as top for 24/7 use when overclocking.
Gaming my system never goes above 43Degrees C either.
hth.

Yh, I set the offset in coretemp to 10C to give a more respresentative figure of temp. It isn't perfect but for general use its nice to have an idea of temp on the task bar.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Back
Top Bottom