10G network with 3 hosts

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking at setting up the following:

2 x ESXi 6.5 hosts. Each host has a 2x10Gb NIC.
1 x desktop PC. This has a 10G NIC (single).
1 x Netgear Nightawk router with 1x10G NIC

I have a fibre going from my current server to the Netgear router and this works fine.

I would like to know if the below is the right way of doing it:

mpgjd3zcydw6liz-jpg.58649

The desktop PC won't be on all the while so I may need a switch between that and the servers..

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
Thanks both, I must admit I’ve never heard the term ‘software bridging’ before?!

I do have a spare switch with 2x10Gb SFP+ ports but not sure that would be sufficient?

10Gb maybe overkill but I’ve got the fibres already in and have everything else apart from maybe a switch so why not!

Associate
OP
You definitely need a switch, plus if you’re planning on more advanced features by using vCenter then you’ll need at least two VLANs. A 10Gb switch will not be cheap though. Unless you have a need for 10Gb (such as all flash VSAN, though for home use 1Gb works), I’d just get a 1Gb managed switch. I have a 10 port Cisco small business one for sale on here. T

Chris,

Do you have a link to the switch - couldn't find it with a quick search..?

Associate
OP
It's copper though, was under the impression the OP already has SFP+ modules and NICs
Quite correct, I have the 10G cards and fibre already installed. Nothing stopping me acquiring some 1G SFP's though I guess.

I have found an Ubiquiti SFP+ switch (16XG) so will be having a look at that..

Associate
OP
Hmm, shall have to make a decision on whether to go and spend more money on the 10G 16-XG or run with an SG300-10SFP for now. There's a fair cost difference as to be expected. In reality the 1G solution would be fine.

Associate
OP
What are you planning on doing with VMware? If it's a home lab, I'd just get 1Gb.
Chris,

It hosts my email, will be doing some web site hosting and various other tasks (private cloud etc). It will also be running a Plex server with all content hosted locally. May have upto 5 concurrent users, possibly with demand for 3 to 4 HD streamed movies at any one time.

The more I look at the SG300-10SFP the more I am tempted.. quiet, low power, not overly priced.

Associate
OP
Found one for £291 inc vat plus delivery! Took delivery of the SG300 yesterday, pretty sure I’ll stick with that for now.

Interesting read this, thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom