10gbe switch?

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Hi all,

Ok, I've got several PCs with 10gbe network ports and then I've just set up my new QNAP TVS-h874, which as well as being an absolute monster, has 4 x 10GBe connections on it (with expansion card).

So my question is what's the best way to network PCs onto this? I could just run dedicated CAT6 cables from each PC and then the PCs also have secondary network cables to connect to broader network, but I suspect it's time to drop in an intermediary switch that can deal with 10gbe?

If so, any recommendations on best models/brands for this at the moment? I'll certainly be giving it an absolute battering as I tend to transfer large files/photos/videos/AI models etc constantly between the NAS and PCs....!

Besides what @ChrisD. has asked about, I think it'll also depend on how many 10g network connections you have on hand from the computers that want to connect to the NAS, as that'll determine what the minimum amount of ports on the switch you want as well.

If the network is using RJ45 ethernet, and fan noise is a considertaion, you might want to look at something like the TP-Link SX105, or the Trendnet TEG-S750 for a five port 10g switch, both of which are fanless (but get hot as of such) and have 5 ports for RJ45 10gbe. With the TP-Link SX-105 being slightly favored as it can negotiate downwards for 5gbe and 2.5gbe as well on the same ports, but it does have weird mounting holes if it's not going to be wall mounted and not rack mounted.

If you have more than 4 systems that might access the 10g NAS, then you might need to look at the 8 port switches, but they are all equipped with fans I believe. But you can go with the YuanLey/Nicgiga varieties then that @DIABLO has suggested.
Really helpful guys - at the moment there's only two immediate PCs that will need 10gbe, but that said, the number of times I've had to replace a switch that I thought had 'more than I'd ever need'..... :cry:

I tend to work out what I need and multiply by four to provide overkill!

See this is what you make me do guys!!

The TP-Link SX105 seems a great recommendation for ~£250, but then the Pro Max 24 is only a couple of hundred more and it'd give me 24 vs 4!!!! Any persuasions either way?!!? Is the Pro Max 24 noisy at all? (I mean it'll be in a NAS cabinet I'm building, so it doesn't really matter either way I guess!)

Lots of great points as always, answering them (shout if I miss them):
- Currently I have two PCs connecting to the NAS needing 10gbe (there are technically lots of others, but these are less 10GBe critical - like media PC in the lounge and so on)
- NAS - it's got 2 x 2TB NVMe (OS and cache) and 8x 10gb HDD in RAID 6 currently
- PCs have Proart x670e MBs which have 10GBe ports and the NAS has a dedicated SFP+ pair (as well as the standard 10GBe sockets)

So I guess the question might be what the max speed I could aim for is - am guessing with RAID 6 it's 6x read speed of Seagate NAS HDD drives?!

Back
Top Bottom