10yr Fixed Rate Mortage or risk shorter terms?

Soldato
I've just put some inheritance onto my mortgage and as I've been paying SVR for nearly two years now, it's time to lock myself into something for a better rate.
I'm in a situation now where I could get myself a 10yr fixed rate mortgage with no upfront fee and that would actually see me through to the end of the mortgage. So ten more years of paying a pre-determined amount each month and that's it - property is mine.

The alternative would be to lock myself into a slightly lower rate 2-5 year mortgage and see what's happening after that time.
My gut feeling is that interest rates will only go in one direction from here, there is uncertainty in the UK and that paying a slightly higher rate interest now (still lower than the SVR I've been paying for a couple of years) but guaranteeing my repayments through to the property being mine seems like the sensible option.

Would anyone disagree with that? Would anyone do it differently?

Cheers all.

Soldato
OP
So, just some basic information on what was offered.
On an outstanding mortgage of £47k I have been offered 10yrs fixed at 2.39%, so paying back £52,920 over the term with £0 upfront transfer costs.
If I was willing to lock in for just 2yrs I could get 1.69% with £1k arrangement fees or 1.99% without.

The question I'm answering as I'm sure many experts are too is what will the interest rate be in 2yrs time - is it worth me saving <1% in interest for 2yrs; but then finding I cannot get 2.39%

Back
Top Bottom