12 years of zero maintanance

Soldato
I swapped my gtx670s out over the weekend for a new rtx3090, massive performance bump. so as they wernt going back into use i thought id strip down the blocks to see what happens to an abused loop that never had any maintanance done on it

Clear Mayhams X1 cooling with a bit of orange dye thrown in

Proof that even a 12 year old system can be clean as long as you do the prep work and use decent liquid

I was expecting all kinds or grundge in there but clean as a whistle

Last edited:
Not quite up to your record, had really bad problems with a pre-mix I was using, had to strip everything down and thoroughly flush it all. Since I built up in my new case about 2 years ago have mixed using dye and distilled water and an inhibitor, no issues since, must be something about the Dorset air.

I swapped my gtx670s out over the weekend for a new rtx3090, massive performance bump. so as they wernt going back into use i thought id strip down the blocks to see what happens to an abused loop that never had any maintanance done on it

Proof that even a 12 year old system can be clean as long as you do the prep work and use decent liquid

How does the tubing look after 12 years ?

I've had a very similar result (clean blocks) after 7+ years. Tubing only got milky inside and has not gone brittle etc.
Wonder what's the record for an AIO and how do they even look inside lol

thats good mate. Even the micro fins look good

Nice! Gives me a little more faith that my CPU block and rads might not be a write-off :) (about 5 years with only a top up, mayhems XT1/X1 or something)

I use Mayhems pastel in my loop,for 8 years.
I change my cpu and gpu last year,and I left old coolant in the loop.
Blocks were clean.

I used the MH pastel white in my first WC build (this was very early fluid, I think they changed the formulation later on) and like you I didn't properly flush when I changed the blocks and went to the UV fluid, I quite liked the slight opaqueness that the leftover pastel gave it :)

The 1155 block I had on there before was crusty AF though! - I still have it and imagine it'll clean up without too much hassle, but has a lot of what looks like limescale on the threads/plexi (haven't taken it apart so no idea how bad the fins are)

Back
Top Bottom