123-Reg now charge £12 to release .co.uk domains

Soldato
This one flew under my radar when the change was made and I have about 20 domains sitting with them!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0..._complaints_over_sudden_domain_transfer_fees/

Currently going through the process now of writing a VERY strongly worded email to them :)

I was actually looking to move away from them simply because I wanted to make things a little easier by having it all under my hosting provider - also a little cheaper with them.

Regardless I'll update you with how it goes!

Anyone had any luck themselves?

Roy

Soldato
OP
For anyone that's interested in also getting their domains moved away from 123-Reg for free see my (over the top) email and response from them below! :)

Hi,

Today I decided to move my domains away from 123-Reg to simply allow me easier control of my domains when combined with my hosting provider.

However, when I went to change the IPS Tag I noticed it was going to charge me £12 per domain, or around £200 for all of them!

This is simply ridiculous as when I originally singed up part of the reason I used, and recommended you, was that there was no charge for this type of thing.

Since I did not agree to this pricing change please change all my IPS TAGS with immediate effect to #####.

In fact, while writing this I've come across and article details that indeed these changes were made without notification and that they only happened in March!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0..._complaints_over_sudden_domain_transfer_fees/

In this article you're quoted as saying:
"The update was made two weeks ago without notable customer impact. 123-reg has more than 1 million customers and has seen discussion on this from a very small number of them."

The backlash and precedent set that's allowed other users to change IPS tags without change proves this is not the case.

Please change my IP TAGS for all my .co.uk domains to #### immediately, with no charge.

Got a standard email saying it was escalated to a manager but then....

Dear Roy,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 13th May 2014.

We are sorry for the dissatisfaction that has been caused by the introduction of this charge. I deeply regret the way this has made you feel.

As a loyal 123-reg customer I have flagged your 123-reg account for free IPS Tag changes now and going forward. You are free to move domains in and out of your 123-reg account.

I would be very grateful, if you're willing, for any feedback you may like to give on your initial reasons for looking to initiate this domain transfer (as well as any other feedback you may wish me to pass along). Was the quality of service provided by 123-reg a factor in your decision? I see you mentioned you wanted to have your domain in the same place as your hosting but I wonder if there had been some issues that led you not to host the site with 123-reg along with your domain?

Thank you for your time and patience and I hope to hear from you.

If we can be of any further help with regard to this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Soldato
OP
I've just moved all my stuff to Vidahost.

Been with them for about 5 years for just my hosting and they've been superb.

Yeah, it might be "safer" to have them split but in all honesty even with the worst hosting providers I've had in the past if you've got your reasons they let you go without a fuss.

Unless Vidahost somehow manage to do a complete U turn on their level of service and support I'm happy to have all my eggs in one friendly, easy to use and cheaper basket.

Soldato
OP
Just write the complete opposite of their email they've been sending us. Something like:

<satire>
Hi,

It is my displeasure to have to be contacting you.

I am dissatisfied that you have introduced charge for changing IPS Tags on .co.uk domains. This had made me feel very sad.

Am am a loyal 123-reg customer and would like my account flagged for free IPS Tag changes now and going forward as I wish to be free to move domains in and out of my 123-reg account.

I would be very grateful to give you feedback on these and other changes should I have the opportunity.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

If you required any further information with regard to this, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Bob
</satire>

It does however appear that just mentioning these changes and that you know others are getting refunds is enough.

Dear 123-Reg,

One of my main reasons for joining 123-Reg was the lack of lock-in to your services.

This now appears to have changed without my knowledge, in March, and has just been brought to my attention.

Due to this change, and the way it was implemented without warning, I'm formally requesting that all my .co.uk domains be available to have their IPS Tag changed, without charge, immediately so I can move them to another provider.

Please let me know as soon as this has been done.

Regards,
Bob

Back
Top Bottom