12600k upgrade - All games crashing 5-40 mins in.

Associate
I come to you at a time of great need, this has been a nightmare for weeks. Upgraded CPU, MOBO and RAM, re-using my GPU and PSU from my last build.

Games will crash within 5-40 mins of playing, all other background programmes are run without an issue, no BSOD, it's only the game that closes.

Event Viewer hasn't helped me much. Sometimes pointing to C:\Windows\system32\sysmain.dll cannot be found, sometimes it's an app hang error, sometimes Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll. sometimes something else completely.

RAM passed memtest86 without any issues.
Fresh install of windows 11
DDU graphic drivers and reinstalled
latest F5 BIOS
Disabling E-cores doesn't fix it.

Build:
Windows 11 - (Most up to date public release)
Intel 12600k
gigabyte z690UD DDR4 (latest F5 BIOS)
Nvidia GTX 1080ti
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz (Passed MemTest86)

Associate
OP
Have you tried disabling XMP? Disabling reBAR?

But this sounds to me more like a GPU issue. Are the fans working correctly? Don't rely on the fan monitor software; actually look at it. Are all the cables plugged in properly at both ends? Is the GPU on a riser cable? If so remove it.

Testing now with XMP disabled. I don't think reBAR is enabled as I can't see it within the Nvidia drivers in system info, or the "Large memory" in Resources for the GPU in device manager.

Fans are definitely going, not on a GPU riser.

Update: Seems stable so far. If the issue was XMP all along, I don't know if I should be happy or cry.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you tried disabling XMP? Disabling reBAR?

But this sounds to me more like a GPU issue. Are the fans working correctly? Don't rely on the fan monitor software; actually look at it. Are all the cables plugged in properly at both ends? Is the GPU on a riser cable? If so remove it.

I think that's sorted it, disabling XMP. 2 Weeks of stress and faffing and that's all the issue was (maybe)?

Although my RAM is now running at 2400MHz instead of 3200MHz.
- I'm probably not going to ever notice a performance difference between 2400 and 3200, right?
- The XMP failure, is that more of a RAM or Motherboard fault?
- Is it worth increasing the voltages or just be happy that it's now appearing to be stable

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1. couple of FPS(1-3%), you won't notice it but it will show up clearly in benchmark
2. Usually the motherboard, since RAM usually passed XMP profile during QA, against a motherboard, but I would say a bit of both.
3. You can try tweaking the custom profile of the Memory, reach the limit then backoff by a bit, it will never be "Certified" but it should be relatively stable, I wouldn't really bother though.
Perfect thanks

I'm sure I read another post on here recently where XMP wouldn't work - but manually setting the exact same settings worked fine.
Might be worth a shot?
Yep, I'm going to enjoy having a working PC for a while now but I'll set it all manually later on.

Back
Top Bottom