• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12900k / z690: tech lust!

Associate
Hi all, anyone gearing up to get hold of the new 12900k and z690 chipset / gddr5 ram?

Looks very enticing. I’m sort of itchy as I recently just finished compiling all my bits for an 11900k / z590 build… Finally ready to start building but now I’ve got a mild case of techlust for the new kit…!

Given I do a build probably once every 5 years or more, am starting to have envious glances at the new kit. Should’ve probably researched future components and release dates a bit more, but flip side is I started compiling the parts 3-4 months ago and thought I’d have built the 11900k system much earlier than now.

Interesting specs on the 12900k vs 11900k though. But wow the projected cost of it (and the new kit to run it in terms of mobo and ram) would probably put a significant dent into the best part of 1.5-2k. So won’t think about that, as that way madness lies….!

Anyone gearing up for 12900k? Or not convinced yet by Intel? Ryzen is obviously still probably best bang for buck so will be interesting to see how that rivalry develops.

Caporegime
Think there's a reasonable chance the 12900k will be a bit of a lemon overall with the rumours that the first iteration of big.LITTLE on Windows likely to be a bit of a mess with scheduling issues. Power issues don't seem to be fixed either.

Will wait for reviews but think this, like Rocketlake, will be easy to ignore.

Soldato
It’s Intel reworking hardware we have already seen. It’s Interesting, but the issues remain.

I’m much more interested in Intel’s upcoming GPU’s.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nope. And it ain’t even enticing for me. They will have to do a lot more to get me going back to them. Plus I would need no less than a 50% single core boost over what I have to even consider it and even then I would not bother as what I have does everything I need so would not even notice the difference much.

I am looking forward to a brand new arc from them. Maybe something Jim Keller worked on :)

Soldato
Nope. And it ain’t even enticing for me. They will have to do a lot more to get me going back to them. Plus I would need no less than a 50% single core boost over what I have to even consider it and even then I would not bother as what I have does everything I need so would not even notice the difference much.

I am looking forward to a brand new arc from them. Maybe something Jim Keller worked on :)

Jim Keller, walked into Intel had a look around, PMSL’d and resigned with immediate effect, apparently.

Soldato
Tech I’m looking forward to,

Intel ARC. We desperately need the third player to push the performance to price ratio. GPU availability is really hurting the industry now. Professional cards are non existent, business is suffering badly.

Ryzen 3D V-cache (all flavours) significant gains across the board.

Ponte Vecchio. Looks amazing. Clearly a priority for Intel.

Apple M1. Finally we have a quality desktop performance level laptop with GPU horsepower to match CPU.

Zen3 Threadripper. Should offer bonkers performance.

Associate
Think there's a reasonable chance the 12900k will be a bit of a lemon overall with the rumours that the first iteration of big.LITTLE on Windows likely to be a bit of a mess with scheduling issues. Power issues don't seem to be fixed either.

This is always the case with intel new way of doing things.

Soldato
Wait for independent reviews as they are only 2 weeks away.

The CPU can run either DDR4 or DDR5 depending on which the motherboard supports so no need to shell out a fortune on DDR5.

V F

V F

Soldato

If this turns out to be true, imagine not learning from the last mistake...

If I were you and your set in Intel, just stick with a 10900k/Z490. The 11900k isn’t worth it. There might be some deals on these at the minute. Or wait a few weeks and the prices should drop.

Ending up with the last great CPU from Intel was the 10 series and not these mishmash botched versions they're churning out. 8 core downgrades from versions with 10 cores and cores that you've to disable for gaming. Having to faff about with big cores/little cores.

Soldato
The value prop for the 12900K (& DDR5) is too low for me but I am keeping an eye for 12600K results as I think there might be better returns there. Fundamentally I want a CPU that can deliver those 60 fps mins in open world games with raytracing on. A 5800X can sort of do it in general but you need a 5950X for something like Watch Dogs: Legion. Plus I kinda want Intel again for some older games which still work best with them (Kingdom Come: Deliverance) and are CPU (really API) bottlenecked. But even games more oriented towards higher fps have issues, like Cold War. So I foresee a constant need to upgrade the CPU too, for those interested in raytracing.

Soldato
Looks very enticing.
There's very little enticing in overhyped big.little kludge for average user.
Besides no doubt performance issues from it varying from game to game, it will be also problem for DRMs:
Intel has confirmed in the document that Alder Lake, which is supposed to compete with the best CPUs for gaming, will have compatibility issues with DRM solutions unless the provider issues a special update for the protection in question.
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-alder-lake-cpus-may-not-work-with-older-games

And for more specific uses you won't even be getting Intel's feature over Ryzens, AVX-512.
Because unless you disable those little cores in BIOS, it's going to be disabled from full cores to avoid problems from different instruction support!

That should tell what kind kludge big.little is at the moment for desktop use.
No doubt only reason for Intel to bother with it is being able to claim high core counts in marketing.

Also while DDR5's latencies suck at the moment, I suspect that's only part of the reason for very heavily increased memory access latencies.
Having had memory controller closely tied to cores on monolithic die has been behind Intel's memory latency advantage.
Now big.little design with its different core blocks might have required making connection between core and uncore blocks of the CPU looser and more similar to InfinityFabric of AMD.
(but without advantages of chiplet design and AMD's experience)

Back
Top Bottom