12k budget, 20k miles per year - Spec me

Associate
So I feel like a change. I have been driving a Mk5 Golf GTI for 2 and half years and to be honest its fine nothing wrong with it. I've sort of finished with the hot hatch phase of my driving career and driving it up and down the M56 daily is starting to feel a bit tedious.

I fancy getting back into premium saloon of some sorts

Recent car history has involved a brief spate with a Mondeo ST220 didn't like it, wasn't a well built as my previous car a 2004 Volvo S60.

And it never really felt that quick, also the particular ST220 I had numerous faults which soured the relationship from the get go.

So what to go for? 12k budget, 20k a year, no less economical than my golf which averages 32MPG. Ideally a comfortable cruiser with all the creature comforts such as auto box, cruise, bi-xenon head lights, navigation etc.

I don't mind a diesel as long as its not a 4 pot tractor.

I've always been fond of the Jaguar XF but my budget only really lends its self to high mileage examples. I'm not afraid of high mileage my Volvo and my Golf were all purchased with 120k+ on and they've been nothing but reliable.

But with the complexities that make up a modern diesel it would be a big gamble no?

I like the lines of the Passat CC the only really one that takes my fancy is the 3.6 V6 petrol where are a rarity and the figures suggest they don't meet my MPG requirement.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thread bump.

After being disappointed with the XF after looking/test driving at a few. I turned my attentions towards Mercedes. I've always admired the CLS even more so when the facelifted it in 2008.

So I picked up a 2010 Mercedes CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition yesterday. 108,000 miles on the clock with a full Mercedes history. It cost 11k but with my Golf going in as part exchange so it only cost me 9k.

I am very happy with it. This is my first ever auto but I don't think i'll go back to a manual now.

Associate
OP
The lights are fine in the flesh, the photo is poor :) My Golf GTI had done a 172k miles and wasn't in the best condition so I am more than happy with 2k.

Grand Editions are pretty well equipped as standard so it has

Bi-Xenon Headlights with active cornering
Command
Parktronic

Associate
OP
Mine hasn't been the most reliable since I have had it. I have had to replace the following

Xenon HID bulb went replaced them both
Lower Ball joint needed replacing due to creaking
A Coil Spring snapped leaving me stranded 250 miles from home
My SRS light has now come on so that now need looking at.

The engine and gearbox however have been flawless thus far **touches wood**

Suspension components seems to be a weak area of this car. It's a great car perfect for effortless crusing down the motorway but it is by no means cheap to maintain or run in my view.

Daz

Back
Top Bottom