• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12th Gen, or safe 13/14th gen?

Soldato
So i've seen all the issues regarding intel 13/14th gen, crashes, instability, degrading etc.

I am picking up a 'barebones' pc on Friday, which contains a z690 motherboard but no cpu. It has usb-flash without cpu needed so I can update the BIOS to support 14th gen.

I don't have much of an issue budget wise with the price of what i'm paying for the unit, so my question is am I better off buying something like a 12700k/12900k and avoid these issues, or are there any safe bets with the 13/14th gen now?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Z590? that doesn't support 12th gen onwards.

You can build a pretty good value system around a 12700K* (new) but I'm yet to encounter the 13th or 14th gen issues in person and I know plenty of people with systems of those generations including owning a 14700K since launch myself without issue so far, but the issues do hang a pretty big cloud over those generations.

I could be wrong but from what I've seen so far it seems to be a small number of these CPUs that are running voltage over 1.5V under various circumstances which are the problem CPUs and they are the exception rather than the norm, but there is an open question as to whether other CPUs will be affected just on a longer timespan.

* It will keep up with the AMD 7700/7800X3D CPUs in non-gaming performance and not hideously behind them for gaming performance.

Last edited:
Sorry, z690!* :)

Interesting insight though that you and people you know have had little issues.

12600k @ £149.99 and 12700k @ £189.99 seems a good starter I think

Last edited:
I could be wrong but from what I've seen so far it seems to be a small number of these CPUs that are running voltage over 1.5V under various circumstances which are the problem CPUs and they are the exception rather than the norm, but there is an open question as to whether other CPUs will be affected just on a longer timespan.

It’s fairly widespread with some gaming server companies replacing a significant number of their 14900K processors within 3-4 months.

Yes, some people aren’t having issues but a lot of people are.

I don’t have exact numbers but what I can tell you is that Intel has a shortage of stock of the 14700K and 14900K because they are having to issue RMA replacements for the affected parts.

It’s better off if OP just went 12th gen or AMD AM5.

Edit: wording

Last edited:
Sorry, z690!* :)

Interesting insight though that you and people you know have had little issues.

12600k @ £149.99 and 12700k @ £189.99 seems a good starter I think
You could get a 13700K or 14700K and do the following to prevent any issues:

-Update the BIOS and make sure that it has the updated microcode from Intel.
-Down clock the CPU.
-Manually set the TDP limits in the motherboards BIOS.

See Buildzoids video here

It’s fairly widespread with some gaming server companies replacing a significant number of their 14900K processors within 3-4 months.

Yes, some people aren’t having issues but a lot of people are.

I don’t have exact numbers but what I can tell you is that Intel has a shortage of stock of the 14700K and 14900K because they are having to issue RMA replacements for the affected parts.

It’s better off if OP just went 12th gen or AMD AM5.

Edit: wording

Aside from the claims brought forwards by Level 1 techs no one else is seeing failures of anything like that magnitude including other companies doing Unreal 5 development, etc. there are a few people reporting it on tech forums but mostly 13900/14900K(S) owners on the Asus forum and that is a minority even then.

I know someone in IT support for a large advertising company which uses Unreal Engine in production, 100s of systems, and they've got a less than 3% failure rate identified as this issue. Either the companies Level 1 techs reported on got bad batches of tray CPUs or there is something sus with their numbers - unfortunately we've still got no clarity from Intel.

If the failures were of that magnitude companies like OcUK would be swamped, pulling them from sale and plenty vocal about it.

Last edited:
Ok thoughts now then...throwing some options in the mix, would you buy a...

14600KF for £160.

Or

12900KS for £150.

gogogo.

Last edited:
Ok thoughts now then...throwing some options in the mix, would you buy a...

14600k for £160.

Or

12900KS for £150.

gogogo.
Depends what I wanted from a statement.

Brute force? 12900ks.

Better power usage and a better memory controller? 14600k.

I’d probably just get the 12900KS at that price.

Gaming really, not much else as I don't do much in the way of editing nowadays...on the odd occasion I do some stuff with VMs for training purposes, but that's usually more ram intensive than anything.
The 14600k should be a bit faster in gaming plus at the same time being more efficient and using less power so that would be my choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom