13.3" laptop please

Associate
Associate
win7 runs great on it.

A 8371 review
My first impressions:
Brought online on Saturday for £340 total, arrived Tuesday. Mine came with Vista, booted into system only to check switchable graphics and FN buttons functionality before installed win7 ult 64 but not before running

3dmark06 - 2590.

After sticking my win7 CD onto USB all that was needed driver wise was the Ati and Intel vga drivers from the acer site. Installed AHCI intel drivers from the site also but don't think it was nessacessary. Took a while for me to see the tabs on the site for the ePower management software! (disabled finger printer reader).

Did get one BSOD so far, but think it was due to me mutitasking whilst installing ATI driver. - user error.

Ran 3dmark06 in win7 and got 2677

Recorded system boot time to be 53 seconds into fully loaded OS.
Hibernation resume time = 29 seconds.

Windows Experience index
processor 4.2
memory 4.9
graphics 4.4
gaming 5.9
hard disk 5.4
Base score 4.2

There is a orange light on the base of the laptop facing the user, took me a while to figure out what it was, when battery reached 100% charge and the light turned blue i figured it out.

The laptop itself looks sleek and modern. Whilst not as small as a netbook (of course) it does fit the categroy of ultraportable, whilst using the 13" screen i am glad that it isn't any smaller. The viewing angles of the screen are BAD, but as long as you use it head on its not a issue. The keyboard has a nice feel but i find the QWERTY pad to much over to the left of the laptop. The touchpad is surprisingly useable, havn't had to plug in a USB mouse for windows/browsing needs.

The major downsides are definatly lack of a HDMI output, no 2nd HDD bay and that is really all i can put against this laptop. If your looking to buy a SSD with this laptop you need to have some cash to splash imo, as the 320gb drive supplied is large compared to most SSDs and is fast for a notebook hdd (7200RPM).

Last edited:
Associate
Been following thread.

Acer 8371 and then upgrade to win7 costs about £380
Intel® ULV Core 2 Duo (ULV SU7300, 3 MB L2 cache, 1.3GHz, 800MHz FSB)
3gb ram

Acer 3810 has win7 and costs about £380
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core ULV (SU4100, 1.3Ghz, 800Mhz, 2MB L2 cache)
4gb ram

Is there any difference in cpu?
Which is better deal?

Soldato
Well, the 8371 most have been getting is the SU9400 version (1.4GHz), has 4GB RAM and has the ATi 4330 gfx.....the variant you mention above is lower spec.

Ultimately, the SU9400 (and SU7300) is a superior CPU, but maybe not enough to sway on its own.....of course, the 8371 tends to come with Vista Business, so if you need to fork out for W7 it can be a factor too. The 8371 comes with Bluetooth, also, which the 3810TZG does not, but the 3810TZG has HDMI out in place of VGA......then the 8371 has a fingerprint sensor and matte screen, the 3810TZG has no fingerprint sensor and a glossy screen.....

Have to love the construction of the 8371 also - magnesium alloy goodness - as well as the potentially valuable HDD shock protection system.

All in all, though, both machines seeem to offer a lot for the ££s

Associate
Just found the 4gb version with ATI gfx, thats caused even more conundrum.

Is vistas bad reputation true? I have win7 on all my other machines and its great.

Soldato
IMO Vista alone is about 20% slower than Windows 7 so the difference in CPU might well be negated by the OS.

The 3810TGZ (which I have) has the glossy screen which I think is fine on the whole and excellent if movies and games are your thing. The HDMI is in ADDITION to the VGA output.

Associate
Just bought the 8371 with ATI gfx/4gb/9400 cpu for £350.

Figured my daughter won't care if its vista or win7. Ill keep my eyes open for a win7 deal (I got my first copy for 35 quid).

Back
Top Bottom